Thrasher 108 with alky and 92 octane?

GNSteve

EFI Unlimited #4
Title says it all. Is it possible to run this combo safely on the street? Right now I can run 21/22 psi with methanol/92 octane with a Thrasher 92 chip. No knock, O2's in the low 800s/high 700s.
Would I have to turn down the boost to run the 108? Just for kicks, I tried the 108 with the combo above with no changes. The car ran like a bat out of hell, but started to show KR after 12psi. (alky turn-on point)
Should I lower the boost and try again, or leave things well alone? I sure like that low-end grunt the 108 has to offer. the 92 will allow higher boost, though. What should I do? Any suggestions appreciated!

Steve

I tried the 108 with alky and will probably do so again some time, but for now I am VERY happy with the T-100. Zero transitional knock and it has almost as much timing. You have a little safer buffer zone.
If you dont have a power plate I would get one, it helps with the transitional knock. I would give it a try, but it may be a little too hot. You deifinitely need a hotter chip than the 92 though. It will help your top end a lot.

Bob,

First of all, thanks for the reply! What boost level were you running with the 108? How much transitional knock are you talking about? What were your o2 counts at WOT?
I'm trying the 108 because I picked it up as a package with the 92. As I said earlier, the 108 was a definite improvement over the 92 in almost all areas. I just wanted to know where a "safe" boost level would be if I started playing with this chip with 92 octane and methanol.
Anyone else have ideas?

Steve

I'm not sure what the timing is on the Thrasher 108, but I've run the Red Armstrong 108 chip with Alky and almost no knock at 24 lbs of boost. I have the RJC power plate which I think helps alot. A higher timing chip really wakes the car up. With just a change from a street chip to the 108 I gained 5 miles per hour at the track.

I had a couple of other problems when I was running the 108, but I was running about 22lbs. Thats why I said I am probably going to try it again in the future. But I had a couple times when the alky was not flowing and I went over 12 degrees of knock:eek:

My advice is get it dialed in with the 92, then try it with the 108 You may have to turn the boost down a hair with the additional timing, but you should be able to run it.

The biggest complaint has been transitional knock. Some have gotten 4-5 degrees before the alky comes on. If you have a power plate it can help with this significantly.

The top end pull will be much better with the higher timing:cool:

Thanks, Bob.

Sounds like what I was actually planning on doing. I'm running pretty good with the 92 right now. I can pull 21/22 psi with a little transitional knock. That might have been what I saw during my test run with the 108.
Thanks for the input.

Steve