You can type here any text you want

Thrasher chip.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Go For 1

Is anyone using a Thrasher chip with their 868 36# injectors? If so, how well does the car run?

I am but they are not specifically the 868's, they are the 36# accel injectors. Hav'nt had much time with it but it did seem to work good. Seems to be rich on the low end and idle as seen from the carbon buildup (black soot out tailpipe) after restarting from idle.
Worth the money though.

paul

I have the Thrasher for the 868's with 868 injectors. I agree with PaulRV6, runs rich. I have soot in the tail pipes. I really started to notice when I pulled the dump tube and swaped in a CAT. I have a Joe Lubrant for 100 octane I am going to ask him to reburn for 93 to see how it does.

2 things I don't like about the chip. You can not adjust FP as it depends on the 45 psi line off for idle. My guess, the rich problem. Some have run lower FP with no problems. Second is the fast spool. The chip spools like mad but it can cause a boost spike of a few pounds. I noticed mine when I put on a Power Plate. I spike about 23 psi then drop right away to 20. Do a search in the archives and you will find more on it. It does not cause most an issue, it just bothers me. I have had may car running 20 psi at 0 kr for a long time and I think I can get more out of it with the Power Plate. At least I would like to try. I get a little retard around the time of the spike now so I am not i a hurry to go higher now for fear of a higher spike and more retard. I am also going to put on a manual boost controller made by a fellow TTA owner to controll boost. I plan on doing that regardles of the chip.

Don't let this stuff bother you if you want to try out the Thrasher. Despite my little issues I really like it. Good idle, it does spool like mad, and cheep!!.

Brent

Don't be afraid to drop the FP. I'm running about 43psi with mine. This corrected the rich condition I had. I had block learns in the low 11x with 45psi. Now I have 12x and the car runs great.

This is with my 50# Thrasher chip. I think the only reason I had to take the pressure down was because the injector constant is 49.5. I have another Thrasher 50 where it was bumped to 54 but haven't tried it. This one is dialed in so I don't want to mess with it :rolleyes:

I will give it a shot. This is kind of timely, I was shooting a low and slow boost problem (I goofed up and left the boost solonoid unplugged) which led to a little (very little) tuning once I straightend it out. Ihave 2 good blasts on t-link plus the majority of the little crusie back to my house. I have yet to review them but it will give me a good, current, idea of where my BLM sit.

Thanks,

Brent

Originally posted by tta583
I have the Thrasher for the 868's with 868 injectors. I agree with PaulRV6, runs rich. I have soot in the tail pipes. I really started to notice when I pulled the dump tube and swaped in a CAT.
The Car is idling rich on purpose. That is how the Thrashers get their smooth idle. DO NOT run a catalytic converter with a Thrasher chip.
  1. The chip is not designed to be run with the backpressure of a cat PERIOD. I don't care if it is a Random Technoldgies $500 3" cat. Don't use a cat with a Thrasher.
  2. The cat causes even further richness.
  3. The extra richness will ruin your $$$ cat.
  4. The car will not run well at WOT...which I assume is part of your goal?
    [/list=1]
    2 things I don't like about the chip. You can not adjust FP as it depends on the 45 psi line off for idle. My guess, the rich problem. Some have run lower FP with no problems. Second is the fast spool. The chip spools like mad but it can cause a boost spike of a few pounds. I noticed mine when I put on a Power Plate. I spike about 23 psi then drop right away to 20. Do a search in the archives and you will find more on it.
    As stated by someone else, go ahead an lower the fuel pressure. Just do it IN 1LB INCREMENTS! and watch your BLM and O2 numbers. Today's TRs are not all the same.

You don't like fast spooling? :confused: You are getting the spike in boost pressure because the spring in your wastegate atuator is getting weak. I don't car how many miles are on the car...it is at least 13 years old.
    I have had may car running 20 psi at 0 kr for a long time...
    Sucks don't it? :D
    Don't let this stuff bother you if you want to try out the Thrasher. Despite my little issues I really like it. Good idle, it does spool like mad, and cheep!!.
    Like I said in the other thread, I gaurantee you will like the Thrasher...even with your 868's.:)

Hay Scott,

No cat on my car. I have to swap one in for emissions testing but I run the stock chip and drop the FP to like 35-38 when I do.

The car is an 89 TTA with right at 27,900 miles. I was thinking about a weak spring in the actuator as I know mine is not a moded stock one but I still do not know how old it is. I have a buddy with a 22K 87 GN running a thrasher for stock injectors, other free mods, as well as a good fuel pump. He put on an adjustable last year that he bought brand new from one of the vendors, Kirbins I think. Guess what, he gets a 2 to 3 psi spike as well. That's why I decided to look into a manual boost controller.

As for the 20 psi, oh it sucks!!! Gotta hat watchin needle on the boost gauge go from 10 hg of vac to 20 psi boost in no time. heheheh

Brent

Actually, after thinking about it some more...boost spike would not be caused by a weak spring in the actuator. Exactly the opposite would happend with a wek spring (i.e. the valve in the wastegate would open too quickly and you would have trouble building boost).

Boost spike is more indicative of the valve staying closed too long (i.e. sticking/binding) and then it pops open. Note: the Thrasher chip does give its maximum boost in 1st and 2nd gear as the engine is under less load. Yet from what I assume, you are seeing the spike and stable settling all in first gear. If you have an adjustable WG actuator rod, you could have it too tight.

Back