You can type here any text you want

Thumbwheel chip question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sal Lubrano

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not want to bash any chip burner. I just want the best chip out there. That being said I have a thumbwheel chip for 009's in my car. I just upgraded to the Mototron's 60's and am running alky. I called john at Caspers and they he does not have a custom chip setting for alky, he told me to use one of the setting in the chip. In the chip there is a 18,20,22,24 and 26 degrees timing settings. But that is through all gears. He told me you want time because that is where the power is. But after looking at other alky chips they start off with hight timming and lower in it in higher gears. What is better??? Just want the best alky chip with the option of changing to stock or 116 octane with opening the ecm.
Thanks
Sal

Look into the TurboTweak chip for alchy. I too have the thumbwheel chip. I will be installing my SMC alchy kit this spring and will probably get the TurboTweak chip for it. I will miss the security feature of the thumbwheel chip. Hey, maybe they can reprogram the thumbwheel setup?????

22 to 23 degrees timing for 100 octane, or 93-94 oct/w-alky seems to work fine on most combinations.

I have never had to drop timing in high grear, if fueling was proper.

Thumbwheel chips are easily reprogramed for the injectors you stated.

I do them on a routine basis for fellows upgrading their injectors, and have Casper thumbwheels.

Joe

I've fooled around with lots of different chips, made the best time and hp with same timing thru all gears...reason some drop timing in the higher gears is because the exhaust gases usually get a lot hotter later down the gears. I just add more fueling and keep the timing and it seems to work and also keeps the O2s from diving down in the later gear too.
Thumbwheels are great, have a backup chip if the alky runs out, have a anti theft, valet, and several different choices of timing all in one chip! Easy to program too, just concat all of your individual 2732A files together and then burn onto a bigger chip like a AT29C256 which allows you to electronically erase them and not fool with a UV light.

Sal Lubrano said:
---------------
I do not want to bash any chip burner. I just want the best chip out there. That being said I have a thumbwheel chip for 009's in my car. I just upgraded to the Mototron's 60's and am running alky. I called john at Caspers and they he does not have a custom chip setting for alky, he told me to use one of the setting in the chip. In the chip there is a 18,20,22,24 and 26 degrees timing settings. But that is through all gears. He told me you want time because that is where the power is. But after looking at other alky chips they start off with hight timming and lower in it in higher gears. What is better??? Just want the best alky chip with the option of changing to stock or 116 octane with opening the ecm.

Going by your sig line, you might run out of fuel pump, when you start leaning on those 60's. Be sure to periodically check to make sure you have the calculated fuel pressure at the end of a run. FWIW, I had to set up to a double pumper.

You want to cut the timing slightly in 3/4 gear, or do it based on MPH.

The reason being, is that in 1+2 nd gear the engine has alot more torque multipilication working for it, so it gets thur the gear(s) faster, and doesn't see that much of a load or have time for the heat to build up in the engine. As the heat does build up in the engine it is more prone to detonation, so you have your choice of adding fuel (to help with in-cylinder cooling), or removing a timing to keep the engine happy.

If you're only worried about drag racing then talk with your chip guy about setting the Power Enrichment TPS enable high enough so that you don't stage in PE mode, and then when you launch you can have him use the time in PE mode to add fuel based on time, so that you richen things up slightly at the top end of the track. Using that and the high gear timing retard, is the best answer I know of using the stock code.

Both Bob Bailey, and Eric, have alky specific chips. A search in the alky board might shed some light on how's chips are really working well with alky.

In your opinion. Is it better to run a 23/21 timing chip or add fuel to the top gears. I have heard two different opinions from top chip programmers. Confussed.

Back