Ticking gone, header gone.

b4black

Since I bought my '83 TR, it's had a tick. Sounds exactly like lifter ticking, but I knew what it was. Cracked header. Kinda odd, since it's only got 50K miles and never had the secondaries open (until I got it).

So last weekend I finally pulled it out, and sure enough, there's a hairline crack along the weld between cylinders #3 and 5. Instead of having it welded up, I tried someting different. I used a '79/80 cast iron manifold. It fits perfectly. It should flow as well, never crack and it should reatin heat better.

The EFE butterfly needed to be removed (the '83 uses a electric style EFE under the carb). The EFE's body becomes an adapter between the manifold and crossover. The crossover is still the stock '83 unit. Also the dipstick needs to be changed. I was even able to use the '79 heat stove and keep the THERMAC tube to the air cleaner.

The tick gone. But what I really was hoping is that my knock problem would be gone as well. I was hoping the crack was throwing off the O2 sensor. With the crack gone, I'm confdent that the O2 sensor is correct and I'm running lean most of the time. (This is probably why the header cracked in the first place.) Now I just need to figure this problem out.

The '79/80 manifold is a NA piece. I bet it would work on 84/85's and even 86/87's. The 79/80 passnegr side turbo manifold could also be used for 83/85 cars, but it's lacking the O2 sensor bung. This could be added in the up-pipe.

Rich,
Check your passenger side as well, mine were cracked on both sides. I think this is the problem we both were have on the upper RPM's