You can type here any text you want

Time for rebuild. Need sugg's.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
I spun a bearing the other night. I've got some good rod knock. It's time for a rebuild. The motor is just about ready to come out of the car, and I don't know what condition the crankshaft is in.

What I would like to do is keep the build at a reasonable level. This is a street car, and I don't take it to the track but once in a great while. Take a look at my signature and you can see all the mod's.

I was seriously thinking of going with a roller cam, keeping the TRW pistons (if they are salvagable), and a stock crank/rods. What size cam would you guys suggest would work well with my combo?

Any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first 3.8 build, so I'm fishing for ideas. Thanks.

either Weber's 206-206 or Precision's 210-210 they are both real close to being the same. I went 10.90's in the wifes GN with this cam with the A/C on with a small TA61, then I went high 9's with it with a GTQ76 in my firebird, all on the same camshaft.:wink:

Also looking for suggestions on engine gasket kits, and head gaskets. Where to buy? Which is best? I'm running 20# of boost with no plans to increase it. I'd like to get some really good head gaskets that will hold up.

Thanks.

Precision looks interesting. Where do I get information on this cam?
sent you an email of the cam card. call Holly Hartline @ 321-722-1563 & she will hook you up. as for gaskets if your only running 20psi I would use felpro's.

With your combo, I would go with the Comp Cams part # 69-200-8 hydraulic roller cam.

.496 /.496 lift
206 / 206 dur @ .050
258 / 258 advertised duration
110 lc.

Use the fel-Pro 9441PT head gaskets. I've had good luck with them.

Good luck with your rebuild! :)

I'm going to do some port work on the heads as well. Clean them up, smooth out the runners and do a gasket match to the intake. Unfortunately the buick is going to be down for a long, long time. Thanks, guys.

My plans have unfortunately changed. It sounds like I'm going to have to completely rebuild the motor. I ended up with material all through the motor and I will need to take everything apart, I will have to take everything to the machine shop, and have it all checked, balanced, etc.

Since this has happened I'm open to any and all suggestions as to what to do to make a stout 3.8 liter. I would like to stick with the stock rods/crank. I currently have all ARP bolts, billet center caps, trw pistons. Should I go ahead and purchase the front/rear mains? Should I do a stud girdle?

The car is a street car, and I currently have a TA49, though I will eventually upgrade. All other upgrades are in the signature.

Back