You can type here any text you want

Time to revamp my system!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter dconnor
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
D

dconnor

Ok I've got my T where I want it performance wise & have just a couple of cosmetic items to finish up (which can wait a while) SOOOoo I've decided it's time to renovate the sound system! :D

I have about $750 to play with, am sticking with the current head unit (Pioneer Premier model# DEH-P430) and already have upgraded speaker wire & an amp kit in place. Here is the general plan of attack:

10" subwoofer (wanna keep extra weight down since I race quite a bit) powered with ~300 rms watts in a box on the rear shelf. The Earthquake bandpass/amp/sub combo I have now is good, just not up to my ideas for what it should sound like after the "upgrade"

Kick panels or some of Audiowizard's custom door pods (heh need to get a quote Eddie hint, hint! May have ya do the sub cabinet too...)

And if it's in the budget, some speaker pods ( 6.5" mid bass drivers) in the rear seat area just above the seat belt housing ala mcss383's install.

I'm a little behind on the latest & greatest stereo tech out there (been about 9 years since I was in the biz) so if anyone has some suggestions PLEASE share!

Doug C.

Feedback/Suggestions PLEASE!!!

Anyone, anyone............

Bueller?!?!?

What no one has ANY suggestions?!?!? :(

I've done a little window shopping & have come up with a few different subwoofer possibilties so far:

Audiobahn 10" model# AW100Q, 400 watts RMS $59.99

Audiobahn 10" model# AW1008X, 1000 watts RMS & 45lbs! :eek: $119.99

HiFonics 10" model# HZ10, 400 watts RMS $79.99

I'm kinda leaning towards this last one right now since I've been VERY happy with HiFonics products before, & will most likely go with one of their amps.

Doug C.

Oh BTW the prices listed are as posted on www.cardiscountstereos.com

I wouldn't get those Audiobahn subs.

I have no exp with Hifonics subs, a friend does have one of their amps (Zeus) and its very nice. I could only imagine their subs are also good.

For sub amp its pretty easy, JBL 300.1. You can't really beat the watt/$$ of that amp (others that come close have horrible reliability issues).

For sub...I would look into some JL W3's, Image Dynamics IDQ, Alpine Type-R's (although I lean against those due to their name lol), Kicker Comp/VR.

For reference a guy I know here in town hit a 137.something with a single 10W3 in a stealthbox powered by a JL 500/1 in a 4th gen camaro. Those w3's are good bang/$ and great quality. If you want, I MAY be able to get you a deal on the JL's (send me a PM if you want some info)

I would definatly look into some kick panels or door pods, and I would say forget about the rear speakers. They add more weight and detract from the SQ considerably unless a lot of time is spent to blend them 'just right'.

Mind sharing why you wouldn't recommend Audiobahn? I've heard nothing but rave reviews from everyone I've talked with about them so far....

Doug C.

Personal experience and friends that have/had them as well. They can get loud, but they sound like crap in the process....You can do much better for not much more money IMO.

I have an Aw1200 and it can't do anything but booommmmmm. My friends Alum's aren't too bad, but again, you can get better for what they cost.

Personal experience and friends that have/had them as well. They can get loud, but they sound like crap in the process....

I've had BAD experiences with JL and Kicker subs in the past and a BUNCH of problems with Alpine head units... so tend to avoid those brands like the plague.

After listening to several different cars (including 2 Monte SS's) running Audiobahn systems, I've decided to go ahead & give their AW1200Q a try. Got such a smoking hot deal on it that even if it turns out to be muddy trash, it won't be too much of a loss. :)

HiFonics amps are the best value for the money out there IMHO, they are packed with great features, are downright bulletproof & they have great customer service to boot.....

Doug C.

Back