You can type here any text you want

Tire Age

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

russgill

Just noticed that my rear tires were manufactured in '97, code 047. Everything I see says way too old, need to replace. I do interstate driving from time to time 70+ MPH.

Time to replace?

Thanks

Mine were made in 96, they still look like they have plenty of life, but thats because the last owner didn't drive much at all. I figure it's time to change just to be safe.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, i'm just in the same boat.

Guys, I'm in the same boat. My tires are from 1997 also, they show plenty of rubber but I can see cracks on the sides of all of them. Time for new tires here as well.

yeah exactly what i was thinking, the side walls really don't look to bad, but the cracks are starting so it's time.

I bit the bullet. Just got back, had a set of Cooper Cobra's size 265-50R-15 put on. Balanced with a Hunter road force GSP9700(it can compensate for a slightly bent rim-which I knew I had) etc, for $345, including tax.

Good Luck

Burn out time!! Get rid of those and get some new shoes. Not worth risking life and limb over a few bucks.

I bit the bullet. Just got back, had a set of Cooper Cobra's size 265-50R-15 put on. Balanced with a Hunter road force GSP9700(it can compensate for a slightly bent rim-which I knew I had) etc, for $345, including tax.

Good Luck

Sounds like a good deal. Please post some pics of the new tires if you can, I'd like to see what 265s look like on a GN rim. I currently have the 215s all around.

Guys, you're taking a big risk with old tires. Tires wear on the outside, but old tires deteriorate from the inside. Google for info. Old tires can kill you and your loved ones.

No worries, i have not driven the car much since i purchased it. But with winter not being to bad here it is time to get new tires before i start driving.

Guys, you're taking a big risk with old tires. Tires wear on the outside, but old tires deteriorate from the inside. Google for info. Old tires can kill you and your loved ones.

Thanks for the warning, I'm definitely getting tires before I drive the car this spring.

I'll post the pic's Sunday or Monday, goining out of town for part of the week end

Russ

Turbo,
Here is a couple of pics, as requested

Regal,
That is the video that started this whole thread.

Russ

REAR1-1.jpg

REAR3-1.jpg

That ABC video is also saying that just because you just bought "new" tires they could have been on the shelf for years. They found some that were 12 years old.

Hey Mark, how goes it? My Turbo and alternator covers are still looking great. Folks really like them and comment every time I have the hood open.

So much for the plug, back to tires.

The new tires I got were made 2909, the guy I go to said he won't accept and from his distributors over 2 years old and he will not even fix a flat on a tire over 5 years old.

Back