Tire choices, help me make up my mind.

kenny

No turbo, no care.
Picked up a set of GTA wheels to drive around on. So far, this is what I'm thinking.

Go with some sort of 245/50 on the front, probably just a normal BFG radial.

The rear,
255/50 M/T ET Street Radial

or

255/50 BFG Drag Radial

or just some sort of normal radial, probably a 265, or 275.

Keep in mind, I won't be racing on these, they're just for street duty. Poor weather isn't really a concern. Doesn't come out in the rain. I have another set of wheels I will race on, with a 28X9 ET Drag.

That said, those are the only drag radial sizes offered in a 16" wheel (unless I went with Nitto, but they're only a 245). The car is on BFG 275/50/15's right now, and it destroys them, even at part throttle. Obviously the smaller width, smaller sidewall BFG isn't going to hook better. So that's at the bottom of the list right now.

The M/T on the other hand is supposed to hook like a slick, so I'm curious to see if it will work as good, if not better as the BFG's currently on the car.

Let's hear what you guys think. :cool:

Also, if anyone has pics of a 255/50 on a 16” rim on their Regal, I'd like to see it. :)

For the $$, I always prefer the Kumho Ecsta Supras from tire rack.
Good traction, good looks, not much $$.

I ran drag radials on my car for a day and had to swap them out because of all the rocks, etc... that they threw up on the rear fenders. I'd rather have less traction and still have all the paint on my rear quarters.

What are your mods?

If you are lightly modded, I'd just go w/ a drag radial such as Nitto or BFG's.

If you have a pretty good list of mods and are running faster than low 12's, I'd recommend the ET streets, since you won't be driving in the rain.

If you doubt you'll be launching on the street, I'd just stick w/ the drag radials. They seem to be ok from a roll. Launching real hard is where you would have problems w/ them not hooking up.

Ross

Much faster than low 12's. :)

I don't want an ET Street, I want a REAL street tire.

Basically I'm trying to decide if I can live with blowing the tires off every time I want to make some boost or not.

Also curious to see how a 255 looks on the back, just seems it will look pretty weak. :eek:

I've always run 235-255 on front and 275's on the rear with no problems. The only problem that you may run into is if your springs are worn a bit.

If you are faster than low 12's, I wouldn't bother with a tire shorter than 28" (275/60). They stick a lot better than a 26" tire off the line IMHO.

255/15's(MAYBE 265..don't like em to stick out at all) BFG drag radials good for a mid 12 car?
how much boost off the line can they handle

currently have BFG Radial TAs 255...car is stock, set at 17psi but the tires can't take ANY boost, then chatter when boost comes in around 20mph

Originally posted by WSLN 6
If you are faster than low 12's, I wouldn't bother with a tire shorter than 28" (275/60). They stick a lot better than a 26" tire off the line IMHO.

I'm not racing on these so there is really no point for a 28" tall tire. It will be on a 28X9 ET Drag for track use.

Originally posted by kshef
255/15's(MAYBE 265..don't like em to stick out at all) BFG drag radials good for a mid 12 car?
how much boost off the line can they handle

currently have BFG Radial TAs 255...car is stock, set at 17psi but the tires can't take ANY boost, then chatter when boost comes in around 20mph

I cut mid 1.6 60's on the old car, leaving on 10-15psi.

I ran a 275/50...