You can type here any text you want

To speed density or not to speed density???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Superskwrl

Well i'm on the fence again to go to speed density either FAST or Gen7. I've got a 89 mustang with a single TE44 and it's mass air (stock) with a blow through MAF and i have no electronic tuning devices yet. The MAF costs 400 and and MSD with timing retard under boost is 350 and some sort of device that lets me alter factory settings in the ECU is 300-400 so as you can see it quickly adds up to near the cost of a speed density system. In the future i plan on upgrading to the 500rwhp level.

My problem is that this is my only vechile (i'm crazy etc., please spare me the get a beater etc.) and am looking for opinions as to get FAST,DFI is they will be reliable enough for daily driving, i'm leaning towards the FAST B/B because it's cheaper with the WB02 which i plan on tuning this thing myslf for the most part

THANKS

PS sorry its a ford

I would go with the FAST. Alternative performance up here does Fords and that is what he runs.

It will be reliable on the street.

I have been using the Speed-Pro (aka FAST) on my daily driver for about 2 years. No reliability issues at all. This is a true daily driver- I don't have another car (except my wifes and she don't like me "borrowing" (read: confiscating) it)...

The car just got back from driving 800 miles each way from Massachusetts to Bristol TN.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Another way to look at it. The fel-pro is what the DFI was when it first came out...15 yrs ago, the DFI was the only one out, Fel-Pro is a glorified copy of the old DFI system was...I dont know, I will take a beating for this post, but its the truth...Cant really compare the 2 cause they are not the same beast...The Gen VII is quite a step over the Fel-Pro or the older Gen VI system...

Originally posted by DFIfixah
Another way to look at it. The fel-pro is what the DFI was when it first came out...15 yrs ago, the DFI was the only one out, Fel-Pro is a glorified copy of the old DFI system was...I dont know, I will take a beating for this post, but its the truth...Cant really compare the 2 cause they are not the same beast...The Gen VII is quite a step over the Fel-Pro or the older Gen VI system...

And they're all still playing catch-up to the stock one.

When you get past the hype, they all so the same thing, just the aftermarket ones are more user friendly.

DFIfixah,

Welcome to this bulletin board. I've been here for quite a while now and have managed to help a lot of people without trash-talking a competing product even once. I hope that you can find it in you to follow suit in the future.

Superskwrl, I think an aftermarket speed/density setup is the way to go. You've already hit a lot of key points on cost issues. A speed/density setup will allow you to easily keep up with changes that you'll be making and have a much simpler time doing it. In a way, MAF sensors are simpler to use than s/d systems. However, there is a tradeoff with a MAF setup. A "smaller" MAF sensor offers finer tuning capability but is restrictive in higher HP applications. Larger MAF sensors are less restrictive, but are less sensitive to slower-moving, smaller quantities of air typical of idling and light cruise situations.

Speed/density systems are a bit more complex in how they work but offer more tuning flexibility without a restriction in the incoming air tract. The same system that can perfectly tune your 200 hp engine can be used to tune your 1000 hp engine just as well.

Originally posted by Craig Smith

Speed/density systems are a bit more complex in how they work but offer more tuning flexibility without a restriction in the incoming air tract.

Properly done, that's not an issue.

Don't get me wrong, FAST is a quality product but I think they need to update, and take a bold step forward.
Add enough inputs, and outputs to at least match if not exceed the oem stuff, and release the source code.

The MAFless ME, and Translator Plus have really raised the bar on what you can achieve with the the oem stuff.

Craig Smith, Thanks for the reply I'm growing closer and closer to taking the plunge, but my biggest fear is like any electronics device it'll become outdated. My question is i've heard through the grapevine that FAST is coming out with updates and/or a new system can you please tell me more about any new developments, that i might be interested in, again my application is daily driver, turbocharged, 302ci 5spd 3200 lbs, I'll hopefully be doin all the tuning on the car myself

(if its preferable pm me)

THANKS

Originally posted by Superskwrl
Craig Smith, Thanks for the reply I'm growing closer and closer to taking the plunge, but my biggest fear is like any electronics device it'll become outdated. My question is i've heard through the grapevine that FAST is coming out with updates and/or a new system can you please tell me more about any new developments, that i might be interested in, again my application is daily driver, turbocharged, 302ci 5spd 3200 lbs, I'll hopefully be doin all the tuning on the car myself

(if its preferable pm me)

THANKS

The speed density like Craig said gives much more flexibility, however not all setups can afford to do SD. I for one in my all NA setup can't create enough vacuum to run a "proper" speed density because of my individual runner which replace an intake manifold setup. I tried using the TPS setup instead, no good because TPS % must be dead on and accurate. Mine is not as I run a Toyota TPS with my FAST setup. I went back with speed-density and was able to creat about 72" of vaccum to idle the race car by using a canister to collect vacuum and hook map sensor up to it.

Bottom line, if you have the luxury of using speed-density do it ... far more flexible, i.e. in tuning my cars, I need to take timing out on my 4th gear, easy to do it with load map on 4th but impossible with just throttle angle.

Greg

Back