You can type here any text you want

Torque converter selection

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quick Turbo V6

Define stock!
I'm looking to get a torque converter for my Stage 2 build up. Its a Turbo 400 with all the good parts in it.

The motor is a 274" TT(63's) Stage 2 heads,.600" lift(I need to find the paper with the other specs). It "should" make about 1000 hp.

Small tire,ladder bar car. The car should come in around 3300 lbs.

Let me know what other info you need.

Thanks,
Scott

Don't waste your time on here.....

Call Bill Anderson www.anderson-performance.com and tell him your combination... He uses ATI and will definitely be able to get you the right converter for your car!

The Neal Chance is the best converter out there right now.
The ATI might give you a better bang for the buck.

Re: Don't waste your time on here.....

Originally posted by 86brick
Call Bill Anderson www.anderson-performance.com and tell him your combination... He uses ATI and will definitely be able to get you the right converter for your car!

Bill is a hard guy to get ahold of. So I was going to see what kind of answer I got here first.

Thanks,
Scott

Originally posted by John Wilde
The Neal Chance is the best converter out there right now.
The ATI might give you a better bang for the buck.

Yeah if I had the money a Neal Chance would be the one I get. Right now i'm trying to get an idea of what I need as far as stall speed, 8" 9" 10" stuff like that.

Thanks,
Scott

With an 8inch Art Carr it will be super easy to spool but might slip.
We have gone 9.1 @ 149 with one in a 3500lbs car.
With the v-8 in the car it slipped like crazy but we sstill went 8.3s @ 167.

An ATI 9inch should work pretty well in you hp range.
Ours would never spool with the v-6 or v-8 but I think that is because we did not buy it from a vendor. We went to ATI.

The 10inch would work but the stator and pump have to be just right AKA bolt together Chance. We don't really have any full passes with it yet because it just kills our t-400 because of how much it doesn't slip. We still have gone both 8.2 and 170 @ 3600lbs with a failing tranny!

Your motor should make a way more than a 1000HP.
Our Duttweiler Stage 2 made 1050HP with 60-1HiFi Turbos and they are junk. The tune up was mild as well. You should be able to make 1300 to 1400hp on kill with those turbos.

John,

Thanks for the info!

I know it "should" make more power but untill I see it I dont believe it;)

I bought the turbo's and camshaft from the Banfords. SO I know they have made the power with them:D

Thanks alot,
Scott

No problem, I am glad I can help.

If I can remember here is the pricing.

Real Art Carr 8inch about $800
ATI closer to $1100
Neal Chance $2000 or $3000 with the Aluminum Hub.
The Aluminum Hub is great it takes 6 plus lbs off of the rotating assembly.

ATI units work great , not a much of a severe duty converter as the Chance is but still a nice piece. I sell the Fuel/Blown for over $200 less than the racer net price John mentioned. I guarantee NOBODY can beat that price!!! Let me know if I can help. I agree, it is very difficult to get me on the phone at the shop, we are terribly busy, sorry.

Originally posted by EightSecV6
ATI units work great , not a much of a severe duty converter as the Chance is but still a nice piece. I sell the Fuel/Blown for over $200 less than the racer net price John mentioned. I guarantee NOBODY can beat that price!!! Let me know if I can help. I agree, it is very difficult to get me on the phone at the shop, we are terribly busy, sorry.

Just because the Chance convertor is "adjustable" it is only adjustable to a specific range. I had one and it took 4 trips in and out before they refunded my $$ for screwing up so many times, so bear that in mind if you are thinking about spending $1800 bucks or so, they are not perfect.

I'd go and have went with the ATI, Bill knows his stuff on these, and I'd bet you will have the best chance on it being right the first time with him.

Bill,

Maybe you can fix our ATI? They did not spec it out very well.
My price was based on direct pricing from ATI about 4 years ago.
We had Job Spetter Jr. spec out our Chance unit.
With the Chance unit there are about 5 differnt stators that I know of and even more ways to shim the pump.

Thanks for the help. Don't be soory for being busy! That means your doing something right;)

Thanks,
Scott

Originally posted by Ted A.
Just because the Chance convertor is "adjustable" it is only adjustable to a specific range. I had one and it took 4 trips in and out before they refunded my $$ for screwing up so many times, so bear that in mind if you are thinking about spending $1800 bucks or so, they are not perfect.

I'd go and have went with the ATI, Bill knows his stuff on these, and I'd bet you will have the best chance on it being right the first time with him.

Ted
Did you buy the Chance unit from a vender like you bought the Ati unit from, because if you did that vendor should have known what you needed. If you bought it from chance direct then this is not a fair comparason because if you had bought your Ati from Ati you would have a different opinon.

Back