TPS Question

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Had a Holley ignition installed recently and had a nice data screen installed to keep track of parameters. I was just idling today in the parking lot and was looking at the screen. On the top right once it focuses on, it says TPS/% then it stayed at 2. Once your throttle body blade is closed should it not be at zero at idle? Two would mean that it is cracked open slightly am I correct? Here is the video—never mind...can’t figure out how to post a video. I will work on it.

Had a Holley ignition installed recently and had a nice data screen installed to keep track of parameters. I was just idling today in the parking lot and was looking at the screen. On the top right once it focuses on, it says TPS/% then it stayed at 2. Once your throttle body blade is closed should it not be at zero at idle? Two would mean that it is cracked open slightly am I correct? Here is the video—never mind...can’t figure out how to post a video. I will work on it.

I'm confused. Is this an aftermarket engine management computer? Are you looking at a display screen for that? A laptop?

If it is, then most likely the user programs the closed and open throttle TPS percent. And if someone did this for you, and it idles correctly, and other parameters are good, leave it alone. In the programming, usually, the user calls the closed throttle TPS percentage "idle" even if it's not zero. And then if it should crack to 1 or 2 percent above that, the ECM will then recognize that the throttle is then being opened.

That is correct. The throttle blade is not fully closed. Some cars idle better with it slightly cracked open. You are fine.

It is a Holley ignition/ECU and it has a 6 inch lcd screen to keep an eye on parameters. I have it mounted on the dash.

as Joey and Mike said above....

throttle blade will be cracked open slightly by the throttle blade stop screw as per setting the IAC counts. as the throttle blade is moved to set IAC counts, TPS minimum voltage setting changes accordingly. now may have to adjust TPS to get it back within spec. now double check IAC counts again. then TPS. back and forth a few times to get both adjusted within spec.

that said...I'm not familiar with the Holley product. it seems like Joey said, that the data value of 2 represents the throttle blade is 2% open at idle.

I read the manual, and it states exactly what has been explained. I sometimes prefer tribal knowledge of guys that can physically confirm to a manual reading. Also, the question was more of a what could be wrong causing the blade to not seat and be off 2 percent/degrees or what have you.

I read the manual, and it states exactly what has been explained. I sometimes prefer tribal knowledge of guys that can physically confirm to a manual reading. Also, the question was more of a what could be wrong causing the blade to not seat and be off 2 percent/degrees or what have you.
If you have a "throttle follower" graph and it bounces around 5-20ish or so at idle (dependent on weather, temp, etc.), and the computer "knows" that 2 percent is idle and 3 percent is not, and your car runs acceptably, then it's good.

Engine off, keyed on, throttle to the floor, what does your WOT percentage read?