You can type here any text you want

TTA Charging Issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dwhess504

Ok guys, I have been a lurker for a couple of years and recently bought a TTA. I have read all about the Regals with the brown alternator wire and idiot light etc.

I am having a charging issue. Here is whats up:

Not sure when it started could be after two possible events:

1. I was hooking up the boost guage light to the PRD21 Light so It could control dimming etc. Well in finding which was the hotwire two touched and I blew a fuse. replaced the ctsy fuse all lights seem to work.

2. I was test fitting the hotwire kit and when loosing the red wire from the back of the alternator the wrench touched the case and arced pretty good.

So I got the multimeter out and was at 12.5 with the engine off and no upswing in current with it running. putting on lights ets it started dropping voltage.

So today I replaced it with a Reman Alternator and have no change

This has been my trouble shooting so Far:

-I replaced every light in the dash.... no change (plus we dont have a bat light anyway)
-I replaced every fuse with fresh ones, even in the convenience center
-cleaned connections on the firewall driver side relays
-replaced a relay by the radiator, I believe it is the cooling fan relay
-Both Fans will come on with the A/C On.
-If I jump the "L" on the alt. to the 12v on the back it will charge a steady 14v (plus alt gets really hot and I know it is bad for it)

It seems the alternator is good, but it is not being "excited"

ARGGG so frustrated as it seems I have tried everything!

Only thing left is the Hotwire Kit I installed the ground may not be good.

Thanks!!

this is me jumping it and charing
b14058edd08ce6481eb040b6f92d8950_zpsbe14d1a6.jpg

this is the relay i replaced... not that I had any reason to believe the other one was bad.
00fa2167c4960fd694c02234c2c9e9b7_zpsa3fd91cb.jpg

Try putting in a new bulb in the "bat light".
The alternator may be getting hot because your battery is low.

Back