You can type here any text you want

Turbo Q-jet

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rocky Rotella

I attended a local swapmeet over the weekend and found what turned out to be a '79 Buick Turbo Quadrajet. It's very complete and original and in need of complete disassembly and cleaning along with new gaskets, accelerator pump, needle seat/valve, etc. It's casting number 17059243. Since this will not work on a naturally aspirated motor without modification, do these carbs hold much demand to with the turbo crowd?

I bought it for parts but before I tear it apart, I was hoping to get an idea if these carbs are worth holding on to in complete condition or if Buick guys use them for other applications.

I'd appreciate any input.

A '79 Turbo Q-jet is great for someone wanting to run a factory system without an ECM. Main difference is the power valve plumbing. Somebody should want it as is. It also has larger primaries (800 cfm carb).

That's kind of what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if the non-EFI turbo cars were that popular. I do know it has the large 1-7/32" primaries and the secondary air valve only opens to about 70 degrees. I'm very familar with Q-jets overall so disassembly, clean up and rebuild will not be difficult but I have nothing to test it on.

Any idea what the carb is worth in as/is condition?

Hard to say. Low supply, but low demand. I see people giving away parts Q-jets at swap meets all the time. For something with a known and fairly desireable application, but needing a rebuild, I figure $30-50. That's what the local u-pick-it yard would charge.

I have a '78 Turbo carb needing rebuild I would sell. I think $50 including shipping is fair.

Thanks for the information. I disassembled it today and soaked it in solvent. The exterior still has nearly all of its original plating. It needs gaskets but it's a nice carb. It does have a spot of surface rust on one secondary air valve will not effect performance. I'll list it in the classifieds.

Thanks!

Back