Turbo's and mufflers

Monty

Turbos are cool!
I recently finished my twin turbo project and the motor should go on the dyno in a few weeks. Anyway, several people ahve told me that the turbo's are very effective mufflers and that I will not really need to run muffler's - anyone have any input on this?

turbos do offer some noise reduction and a cool whistle :D but with that many cubic inches your going to still have a lot of sound. I'd suggest the walker ultraflows, abit pricey but stainless and will hopefully put you in a sound range you like. Although you might want to go with something a little cheaper as a test to see what you like.

P.S. that is one sharp looking peice, congrats.

Thanks Mark,

I have stainless Borla XR1's right now, but I haven't run the motor yet, the block is at the machine shop getting honed for the new pistons. I live in a pretty conservative community so I don't want anything obnoxiously loud, like trying to run a regular SBC without mufflers, but I want something that is pleasing to the ear of a "gearhead."

Everyone keep's telling me it's going to be super quiet, like stock....even without mufflers but I find that hard to believe. This is my first experience with an aftermarket/custom turbo setup, so I don't really know what to expect and you guys seem to be the experts. Thanks again.

Well, as a real world example, a friend of mine also has a 87GN with a small cam and some head porting. He runs straight pipe out to stock location exits and we pulled up in the street next to each other and it was difficult to carry on a normal conversation at idle in drive so we kept it short, so you will want mufflers. If your XR1's are straight through they will probably sound killer at idle but crack the throttle and its going to make some noise. My ultraflows are center in side out, basically straight through with a twist and you can see through them. I get a little drone in the 1800-2000 range when driving 45-55 but they mellow out in the 65-80 range then start making some more sound above that. At WOT they sound great and don't attract too much attention. I would guess your going to want something other than the XR1's or ultraflows but if you drive nice in your community you'll probably only get some head turns and not opposition to breaking the noise restriction in your covenant :D