You can type here any text you want

Turbotweak chip-MAF?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

garrett

:confused: I have a 84 T-type that I intercooled and changed the intake /TB/TPS/IAC over to 87 GN parts. Once I got it together, I felt that my 84 MAF was failing because it was running super rich. I took the MAF out and it was really dirty. I replaced it with a newer 85 MAF that had hardly any miles on it. The 85 MAF is smaller and shorter than the 84. It's not exactly like a 87 MAF, but it is closer to an 87 than a 84 in looks and dimensions. The car is occasionally backfiring on start up and coughs and stumbles at about 5lbs of boost. The problem is worst when the car is cold, but still happens to a lessor degree when it gets warmed up. When I sit at a light, the O2 numbers are at 800. Under acceleration the O2 numbers are perfect at about 760. While cruising, the numbers vary from 020 to 750. Fuel pressure is good, spark plug wires have been tested, spark plugs have been checked, coil and module have been replaced. None of these things had any effect. My Turbotweak chip is burned for the car when it wasn't intercooled and had the 84 MAF on it. I haven't been able to get in touch with Eric via the telephone and only somewhat via email. Has anyone had experience with a situation like this? Should I just change to an 87 MAF and mail the chip back to turbotweak for alteration? Can someone get in contact with Eric? This is my daily driver and I can't afford to be without it for more than 3 days. Am I diagnosing the problem wrong?

:confused: I have a 84 T-type that I intercooled and changed the intake /TB/TPS/IAC over to 87 GN parts. Once I got it together, I felt that my 84 MAF was failing because it was running super rich. I took the MAF out and it was really dirty. I replaced it with a newer 85 MAF that had hardly any miles on it. The 85 MAF is smaller and shorter than the 84. It's not exactly like a 87 MAF, but it is closer to an 87 than a 84 in looks and dimensions. The car is occasionally backfiring on start up and coughs and stumbles at about 5lbs of boost. The problem is worst when the car is cold, but still happens to a lessor degree when it gets warmed up. When I sit at a light, the O2 numbers are at 800. Under acceleration the O2 numbers are perfect at about 760. While cruising, the numbers vary from 020 to 750. Fuel pressure is good, spark plug wires have been tested, spark plugs have been checked, coil and module have been replaced. None of these things had any effect. My Turbotweak chip is burned for the car when it wasn't intercooled and had the 84 MAF on it. I haven't been able to get in touch with Eric via the telephone and only somewhat via email. Has anyone had experience with a situation like this? Should I just change to an 87 MAF and mail the chip back to turbotweak for alteration? Can someone get in contact with Eric? This is my daily driver and I can't afford to be without it for more than 3 days. Am I diagnosing the problem wrong?

Any codes?
Where are your BLM's running?
Erick is on this board, TT guy

What ECM do you have 84/85 or 86/87. An 84/85 MAF does not work very well with an 86/87 ECM.

What is your IAC at idle in park ? It should be 10-30.

Where you able to set your TPS to .40-.44 at idle and 4.2-4.8 at WOT on your scan tool with the car off ? Because I think the TPS are not interchangable because of a difference in wiring. Once I tried setting my 84 TPS with an ohmmeter using 87 shop manual instructions, it did not work and I could not get the proper readings. The reason being was the two outside terminals were reversed between the different years. After I reversed the testing procedure I was able to set it up properly. So what I am thinking is an 87 TPS won't work properly when plugged into an 84/85 wiring harness.

Did you try Eric's message board on his web site? He is the guru. Also have all your numbers and mod info for him to expidite your repair.

I'm using a 87 ECM with the 85 MAF. I talked wit Eric today, and he doesn't think that is what's causing the problem. I'm using an 87 TPS ith a new end spliced according to Casper's electronics directions. I was able to get it set at .42 at idle and 4.1 at WOT. My IAC is alittle high at 50 at idle. I may try switching to an 87 Maf tonight.

Back