You can type here any text you want

unplug wastegate control solenoid???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta583

What happens when you have the wastegate control solenoid unpluged and you boost the car? I was taking someone for a drive today but couldnot get the thing to boost over 10 psi. Boost was also slow to build up. On latter inspection I found the solenoid unpluged. I have yet to drive the car again, not had a chance. Sound like my problem?

Thanks

Brent G

With it unplugged, you will get a code. 31 I think.
The boost will be limited to 9-12# and be slow to spool, just like you have seen.
The solenoid bleeds off air per the computer chip commands by putting a ground on to the solenoid. The more it bleeds off the more boost, which is why if the hose comes off the solenoid, your boost goes sky high.

Gary

Guess what? The boost is back. No idea how the think became unplugged, who knows what I was working on and had to do it.

Any way, on the same topic, I have had some boost spike issues in first. It will jump right to 19 then come down to 15. I am seeing about .2 KR on turbolink around this time. I am running a Power plate and 97 octane (xylene mix) so I am confident I can run close to 20 and have <1 kr but I need to get rid of the spike. Waste gate actuator? That's my guess. It was on the car when I bought it so who knows how old and how much abuse it has had.

Brent

I did some looking through the archives and learned that the Thrasher 93 will leave the sol. open so that you get a fast spool. It has a tendancy to spike as it takes a little time for it to catch up and bring things under control. Guess what chip I have. I know I have ran the rod out a little here and there while I have worked on the car to play it safe when I went to retune. I am thinking I have the rod dialed to 15 psi, the car spools to around 20, the ECM figures it out and dials it down. Never had the rod at this point so this spike was kind of new to me.

I plan on shortening the rod and testing it again tomorrow but does this sound reasonable? I know the car will do 20 with no problem. I have added a power plate and was expecting to dial atleast another pound in as others seem to get atleast 2. I am guessing I never saw the spike in the past since I was boosting at least 20, which is were it ECM seems to be catching it (really like 19).

I was also thinking of going with a manual boost controller to cut out the ECM. Thoughts???

Thanks,

Brent

Shortened the rod and I have my boost back. I still end up with a little bit of a spike up to 22 before it comes right back to 20. It holds solid there. I don't recall the spike in the past but it does seem to spool like a mad, faster than ever. I would have to write that off to the Power Plate.

Still think I am going to go with the manual boost controller. Thoughts out there.

Also, I have a Lubrant 100 octan chip I think I am going to ask him to reburn as one of his 93 octane versions. I like the Thrasher I am running but I seem to stay to the rich side. Not being able to mess with the FP is a little pain.

Brent

If you have an adjustablewastegate, why do you run through the solonoid ? The big guys don't !

Back