You can type here any text you want

Users of Direct Scan please read...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
Would someone that has the stock 3.23 gearing, uses a 26" tire, and an unmodified tranny govenor please look at their DS data and tell me at approximately what RPM is the motor at right after the 2-3 shift....preferably if your not locking the converter untill some place in 3rd gear. I tried like 5 times to look at the speed-o and tach at WOT, but things are going TOO damned fast to not be watching the road!! I need to determine at what RPM/Speed I want Eric M. to program my chip to lock at WOT. Too early in 3rd and the boost drops off and flutters real bad, too late and the run is about over. I'm trying to get the most out of the locked TC as possible....thanks in advance!

73 MPH = 5800 RPM's in second

76 MPH = 5100 RPM's in third

65 MPH = 5400 RPM's in second

50 MPH = 5000 RPM's in second

Joe,

I take it no boost drop fix yet ???

One nice thing about the extender chip, can adjust the WOT lockup from 45mph on up, no dropping the computer, takes 20 seconds using the scanmaster.

Julio,
Take a look at what you posted and let me know if that's what you wanted it to say....I'm not sure if it's just me being tired or what, but I'm confused:confused:

Frank,
No fix on the boost drop thing yet, I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, but am growing tired of messing with it. At this point untill I do the heads and cam this winter and HOPE that the problem is fixed, I'm going to just run it unlocked as long as I have to, then lock it for that little extra MPH.

yea me too Joe. Looks like Julios car has some BAD trans slippage .. lol

Well this is on the 3600 9x11. But the car has heads and cam hence why I spin it that high. On a stock cam.. with 4800-5000 tops for rpms..it would be one continuos rpm the whole way down the track. Shift at 73 MPH 2-3.. 3 rd gear starts pulling at 76 MPH. Takes the car takes less than 3 MPH to make a shift..thats about as good as it gets. on my burnt clutches.. hell it would take close to 10.

No slippy slippy.. just gets wound out a bit more. Plus I must go past 5200 on first gear to setup the ME-r correctly.

Joe.. too big a turbo.. for a stock cam/head motor. Your converter pulls the rpms quickly, yet you have to keep the rpm's up to keep the turbo spinning.

I have some track testing this thursday. Next week will be sans the IC.. AKA no IC..:eek:

50 MPH = 5000 RPM's in second

65 MPH = 5400 RPM's in second

73 MPH = 5800 RPM's in second

76 MPH = 5100 RPM's in third

I looked at a run whereby I shifted from 2-3 at 5400 at 65 MPH, then third gear third gear started at 4750 at 68 MPH. When you make the shift, the rpm's drop 650-700. On another run 5450 was top of third at 107 MPH. And a lot of the slippage is due to TQ.

Rearranged it a little, better?

Julio,
Would you say it's safe to conclude that, in most cases, having the converter lock at 72 mph is right AFTER the 2-3 shift and ~5000 rpm?
My converter is about the same stall (#6 pump) so I'm assuming that our motors are at about the same RPM throughout the pass despite your cam and heads difference. What I'm trying to determine is at what MPH do I force the converter to lock which is slightly after the 2-3 shift, but not too soon after....this way the RPM's are back up and the boost drop problem is not present. After this winter when I put on the ported heads and larger cam I'm hoping this shouldn't be an issue anymore, but that remains to be seen??? Any opinions...

The only issue is if you get caught up holding the gear a little longer.. you'll find yourself locking rite at the shift.

I like how Rob Reese would do it, he would lock at 90 MPH and it looked like the car hit 4th.. in other words, let the motor build some rpm's in third, then lock it. Locking too early will drop RPM's big time.

I think when you do your heads and cam..things will start coming together.

I tried 86 MPH but it was almost too late in the pass to make any difference IMO. The reason why I said in my first post "unmodified govenor" was to keep the RPM's from one car to another as close as possible. I let my car shift itself 1-3, how about you?

Joe,
I can send some DS files I have of where I shifted if it will help. Just let me know. But I locked the Vig around 5000 or so. Don't know why that would be so late for you as it worked out fine for my car. Even when it was trapping at 120.

Rob,
Send them...I would love to look through some files....thanks!
I'm not really saying that 5000 rpm is too late, what I'm getting at is it seems that by the time the car hits 5000 rpm in 3rd gear, the pass is all but over and I've wasted a lot of MPH through a loose converter. More or less I'm trying to nail down a good MPH to force the TCC lock through the chip...a MPH/RPM that won't bog the motor when the converter locks and make my boost drop problem rear its ugly head! It's just too damned hard to look at the speedo and tach at WOT while trying to keep it on the road...not to mention they're both moving SO fast:)

Recently I started shifting mine manually. It needs to go over 5200 for the ME-r to do its thing in first gear. I've been to lazy to modify the governor.

Problem with MPH is unless the car does its thing like clockwork.. it changes the whole run. As you can see by my RPM's in 2nd.. they change the way things happen.

I would tell you wire a simple toggle switch.. then hit it at various MPH till you get the rite feeling.

90 MPH is around the 1/8 mile mark.. still have a half track to go. :D

Why not lock it at the top of 2nd?? I can pull an extra 3-5mph out of mine locking it in second. The absolute best I have ever ran unlocked was 106 and the next run was 110 locked with no other changes (I know I am slow, but I am still mostly stock). BTW, I have an orange stripe 2800?? converter.

Back