You can type here any text you want

wanna be intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'm sure someone has thought of this but I was just wondering. Has anyone ever tried running some type of ice water pump system to run through their carb plenum? Just a thought.

Yes I did once , it helped alot. I used the windshield washer tank full of ice , the ice only lasted one run.

Another thing I was thinking of on my engine. Since I have the exhaust cross overs plugged was to try and run ice water though the intake( Were the exhaust gas use to go), the problem I have is I only have one access hole to the exhaust cross over passages on the intake. I would have to drill and tap a second one. But I’m a little leery of doing that. But that would chill my intake.

Does any one have a picture of the backside of a 1983 intake? That’s what’s I have on the car now.

This has got me thinking …………….

I've got one. I was actually uploading some images of my LSC for sale when I read the message. So a little trip to the basement and tada! :)

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/images/intake83b.JPG

There is no crossover on 81/83 intakes. The use the eletric EFE and you'll see that the EGR plumbing is very short (middle, left). The passges you see shaped like a backward "C" are for the AIR/smog pump Since you probably aren;t running a smog pump, you could use these if you block them off. They're probably a better choice anyway since the cover the entire inatke, not just the middle.

ummm, It looks like my idea will not work . It would chill one side of the intake more than the other. What do you guy's think ?

Have you cosidered water jacketing the intake?
That would be a lot of work but I've seen it done before, it was on a tunnel ram tho.
Or how about even using Co2 plumbed to freeze the intake/turbo outlet?
Or, how about using a water cooled turbo & using a separate resivior & water pump to pump cold water though the turbo & possibley the intake & even in your cold air intake to cool the incomming air?

Shouldn't take much $$$, just some work.
The more you can drop your turbo's temp., the cooler the boost it will make & ultamately the more torque your motor will produce.
I am personally conviced that cooling down our turbo's charge temp. is crutial to making good power. (duh)
I've even read of ppl wrapping thier turbo's in copper piping with cold water running through them. Now thats what I call "old school". Me likes:D
Just mt o2.

I have thought about the wrapping the copper pipe around. But what size? Tubing like the oil pressure gauges use? Too small?
I would like something around 1/4 to 3/8". The key would be more surface area.

Originally posted by fc227
I have thought about the wrapping the copper pipe around. But what size.

Wish I knew. This is truly seldom explored territory.
Most ppl want thier performance to come from a "kit".
Your definately on the right track with the key being surface area.
It would be neat if you tried this sinse your car is so consistant & you could really tell how much af a diff. on the time slip it was actually good for. That's what I love about our cars, lots of room for experamentation & trying diff. things.
I'm finally getting some decent G-tech times on my 'T but the consistancy is not there yet. There are lots of things I want to try out on the 231 but I need the car to be somewhat consistant so I can measure the actual gains or losses of each mod.

Does anyone think an oil cooler placed before the turbo is a bad idea:confused:
I think it could drop the turbo temp. some but I can't find an oil cooler with the same size(small) lines as our oil line & I'm slightly worried what it might do to the oil pressure? I guess a place to look for a small tubed oil cooler might be in the import section.

One more thought (not my idea)

For those of you running the long "cold air" intakes:
What about running an air hose up to the point behind the air cleaner (must be at least 18" from carb.) to release cold compressed air into the top of the carb. & ultimately thru the turbo @ W.O.T. As you know, when air is compressed it becomes very cold when released. This might drop the turbo temp. also but you would have to either keep refilling the comp. air tank or hook it up to a 12v air pump. I actually read about this as a fix for turbo lag.

Rich

Are talking about installing an oil cooler in series with the oil line to the turbo?

Originally posted by fc227
Rich

Are talking about installing an oil cooler in series with the oil line to the turbo?

Yep, thats what I'm talking about.
I read (in forum) about someone doing this but using a larger tubed cooler than thier oil line & they claimed the oil press. dropped low. They said that when they changed to a smaller cooler that the press. went back up.
What do you think:confused:

Back