You can type here any text you want

Waste gate solenoid

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pwt

image.jpg Could someone let me know why the previous owner installed a valve on my waste gate solenoid?

View attachment 293680 Could someone let me know why the previous owner installed a valve on my waste gate solenoid?
It looks like they wanted to raise the boost by bleeding off more air going to the waste gate actuator. It's hard to tell exactly what they are doing. Need a picture of where the lines are going to the actuator and the turbo. Normally one side of the solenoid goes to atmosphere.

As stated above, hard to see what they are doing because the wastegate solenoid has a hose on both sides...wtf? Lol. That little know I believe is an ATR boost controller. Just put one on a buddies car last night. Ditch the solenoid and hook it up properly, will give you adjustability

The other hose is connected to a Y adapter with the straight though section going to the turbo and the side connection going to the waste gate.

It can not raise boost because the adjustable valve will only release what the solenoid will allow.

1480375131698.jpeg

I think i drew that correct. Ditch the solenoid and use knob to adjust boost. Just don't over boost. And don't judge my drawing...:D:LOL::jawdrop:

The way he has it plumbed the bleed valve is venting pressure from the turbo decreasing the amount of pressure going to the solenoid and waste gate. The weird thing is as the duty cycle increases on the solenoid the more the waste gate will open lowering the boost. In effect the solenoid operates in reverse. The amount it lowers the boost depends on how far the manual valve is opened. It's almost like the idea was to spool the turbo faster but then limit the boost?

Back