Weber Carb on a Turbo 3.8

gunnervirus

My Car's Too Loud...
Hi again,

Check this out:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/32049261/32049290ElmCYyFlwE

This setup is on a Buick Skyhawk. The guy who owns the car did this because he ran into the same problem as me; hood clearance with the quadrajet. :(

I looked at this picture again and again, but didn't think anything of it because I thought a weber DCOE was way too small of a carb to put on a turbo 3.8. Then I was reading one of the other posts where Turbo-Rich said webers would be a good candidate for a draw-though setup.

My question is this: Has anyone seen this setup before? If not, how hard would it be to fabricate such a manifold?

I have more questions, but I'm too tired to remember...... :mad:

Thanks,
Ben

That's not a factory system. It sure looks like the Doug Roe set up, which I think is the same kit that Kenne-Bell marketed. That's a factory 2bbl manifold with a right-angle adapter. And there's no wastegate.

I have a couple of artciles from '78 which feature Skyhawk's with this aftermarket kit. I'll dig them out. I remember something about the factory system not fitting. But I can't figure out why, except for the hood, which is why Buick put the bump on the Regal. The factory turbo probably sits lower than the aftermarket turbo. It's the carb that's the problem, but I doubt Buick could swicth carbs with the emissions requirements.

Can the hood clearence problem be cured with a couple of inches more? Maybe a hole, covered by a turbo monte's bolt-on bump would do the job?

The setup isn't factory, but mine is. You're right, the turbo will fit under the hood, but the problem lies with the carburator. The carb sits too high, and it hits the hood. I really would like to keep the stock hood and not have to modify it. That's why I was looking into the sidedraft carb idea. I'm not too worried about smog, the only thing I still have is EGR.

I was just wondering how hard it would be to fabricate the adapter from the carb to the turbo? Would the 3.8 be under-carburated with just one weber?

I think I'll also look into the hood bulge idea; it would probably be cheaper than putting a weber on there.

Ben

Originally posted by gunnervirus
I looked at this picture again and again, but didn't think anything of it because I thought a weber DCOE was way too small of a carb to put on a turbo 3.8. Then I was reading one of the other posts where Turbo-Rich said webers would be a good candidate for a draw-though setup.
Ben

There are probably 2 dozen guys in the US that can set up a 45 DCOE correctly. Unlike so many other carbs you can seriously tune a DCOE. Just choicing and emulsion tube, can take many many hours. Float weights, all kinds of things can come into play. For the time effort and money just get some 87 manifolds, and go with EFI

Re: Re: Weber Carb on a Turbo 3.8

Originally posted by bruce
For the time effort and money just get some 87 manifolds, and go with EFI

He's got the entire Carb/Turbo set up already. The complete 86/87 system will run hundreds (and hundreds) of dollars. Turbo, exhaust, intake, TB, IC, coils, wiring and everything else. And the time involve installing it for someone not familar with the 86/87set-up is not trivial. I can't see all that time and money just for a hood clearence problem. :rolleyes:

The carb/turbo will be capable of suppling plenty of power for a lil' vega. :)

I'm thinking that set-up came with either a SU or Dellorto carb. Weber carb book. I also think the Buick compressor uses a different plenum to compressor mounting than most other turbos. The Buick uses six bolts, while most other use two or a bell-mouth.

I found the articles. Now I just need some time to read them again. Ben, e-mail me an address and I will send a copy to you.

Re: Re: Weber Carb on a Turbo 3.8

Originally posted by bruce

There are probably 2 dozen guys in the US that can set up a 45 DCOE correctly

Funny:D
VW guys don't seem to have a problem with them?

Let me know if you guys come up with something.
If you removed the carb. intake & mounted a Weber directly in front of the turbo's inlet you could possibley greatly reduce lag & throttle resonce. I'd think you might be able to machine the manifold off right before the turbo & fab. a way to mount it there or get someone to make you a flange for the inlet & attach it to that?

OK, I just re-read the articles. (Ben, your's are on the way.) The system in the picture is the Doug Roe kit, which was marketed by Kenne-Bell. Basically it was a add on for the 3.8 2bbl. Since at the time Buick was protecting it technology, it does not use any of the factory parts. The Turbo is a T-4, no wastegate and water injection. (The boost is limited by intake and exhuast restrictions.)Two carbs were avavilable, a SU and Dellorto.

An interesting passage:
...the cardinals rules of successful turbocharging....1/Intake passages must be as short as possible; 2/fuel-air mixture should travel ever downward; 3/there must be a limit to the maximun boost; and 4/there must be protection against detonation.