You can type here any text you want

What brand and model 3.5's are in your dash?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Mine are Alpines, and they're a discontinued model, but Id like to find some replacement 3.5's.....looks like most of the 3.5's I see for sale have a protruding tweeter that prevents the dash cap from being reinstalled.

Wanted to see what all of you are using for a 3.5 that fits. Thanks.

Just buy your favorite brand and BEND THE MOUNTING TABS................. this has been beat to death! :eek:

Attachments

• DSC03728a.jpg
    DSC03728a.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC03734.jpg
    DSC03734.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC03741a.jpg
    DSC03741a.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 535
I run Infinities which have a flush mounted tweeter. They're more of a low budget upgrade. They sound much better than stock and as good as anything else in the price range. In the GN with the average exhaust you're never going to tell a lot of difference in SQ. In a car like my TL, I have about $4,000 in audio because you can really hear the difference. Image dynamics makes some awesome stuff for the money. I'm running one of their component sets that cost $175 and they sound better than many of the $1,000 component sets and I'm running 1.5 times more than the rated rms.

I'd love to know how you managed to make these work with the stock dash cap. I went with the same speaker and sorry but the tweeters sit so high the dash cap hits. Oh all looks ok until you turn on the radio...then the plastic strips of the speaker grille rattle because there's a speaker sitting right up against it! And that's with bass blockers on the front speakers so they don't even play anything but the highs!

And before you ask, yes I did mount my speakers below the dash. Sorry but they still hit the grille. The tweeters sit too tall. Plus if you look closely you can actually see the dash cap pushed up in the middle of the speaker grille area.

The only way to make these speakers fit right is by using spacers between the mounting tabs and the underside of the dash, and that in itself is a pain in the ass times 10 to do unless you remove the entire dash. I've tried it working with the minimal space from up above - it ain't working! So yeah these speakers do not work I don't care what anyone says.

wrong...

You're making it too hard. They've been in there for over two years and they sound fine.
First thing, they are not directly against the underside of the dash opening, you can see that in the pics. I got clips like what's in the attached pic, put them on the speaker tabs. Then I stacked maybe three #8 or #10 flat washers on each and put a layer of masking tape around the stack to keep them in alignment so the screws would go through. Carefully positioned the speakers through the dash openings while holding them by the tweeter and putting in the cap screws took 5 minutes per side, at the most. You can push down on my grille and see they aren't touching the tweeters at all.
Sorry if you had problems. It wasn't that hard.

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 253
Not wrong

Dave, I mounted the speakers under the dash opening such as you have, using the screw clips as the fasteners. That's not the issue. The issue is the tweeters sit too tall and do not allow the cap to go down w/o it resting right on the tweeter which pushes up on the grille. Also the grille vibrates as well....I can push on it and it goes away. Probably from the speaker hitting it.

The trick as you mentioned was running spacers. I purchased some small aluminum ones from Ace hardware, but trying to hold them in place while inserting a screw into the tab thru the spacer plus holding the speaker up has proven to be a challenge...unless you have really small hands, or the windshield is removed or the dashboard is removed or you have a second set of hands or all of the above. Or if you can cut a half washer and slip them in after the first few threads of the screw are threaded in...is the only other way I can think of. But you're welcome to drop by and install mine and I'll supply you with your fav. beer.

Id rather put a 4'' in the dash than a 3.5.Its a day and night difference.It takes more time trying to mount the 3.5 in from the top Than trying to mount the 4'' from underneath.Anyway theres a company called metra they make the 3.5 that fits in there all you do is drop it in and go.And the clip in the picture above is called a speed clip

Yeah, well whatever. I chose 3.5's because I didn't want to mod the dash in any way. These Polks drop right in without changing anything. Don't know why it's so hard for some to do. I know others who use these and they didn't have any problems either. Guess ya can't please everyone... :o

David65, you did exactly what I did back in '01 with 4" Infinity Kappas, then did the same thing to an elcamino I had, but used 3.5" pioneers, the tweeter was too tall, so it got bottom mounted as well. Trouble with the GN & the 4" kappas, there was way too much "highs" along with the 5.25 RF separates in the doors, I removed the dash speakers & it actually sounds much better.

Back