You can type here any text you want

What do do about paint chips behind rear wheels

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

When I purchased my low mileage TTA, I knew that there were many chips in the lower quarters behind the rear wheels. Obviously from the tires being so wide.
My question is, should I have it repainted ? I took it to a body shop and there are two options. One is paint the entire rear fenders for $2000.00 or he can paint just the bottom of the fenders and stop at where the fender has a factory crease which is about 10 inches from the botton of the fender.
That would cost around $450.00
I could also just touch it up, but there are probably around 30 to 40 small chips in each fender. I am afraid if I dont do something, it will rust being there is no paint there.
My question is, is it worth doing since the tires are wide and the road debris will probably chip it again ? How is everyone elses fender bottoms look ?
Any suggestions ?

There are also companies who specialize in airbrush-repair of rock-chips (for dealerships usually). They do fairly good work. Looks good. Just another option.

Second, I think it's called 'clear-tastic'. The same stuff that they use for the stick-on plastic nose covers. They make something to cover that area in relatively thick, clear plastic. Nothing permanent, and you most likely would never know it's there if you weren't told. That would dramatically (if not eliminate) reduce repeat chipping.

Just a thought...

M

Back