You can type here any text you want

What Oil

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nwarky

I don't want this to turn into a flame post but, what oil should I use. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30. What brand and what weight. I have an aftermarket cam so if that matters let me know.

Depends... If your going to race or flog it all the time, go with regular oil 10w 40 . Now if your going to puss foot it, go with the synthetic 5w 30. I tried synthetic for racing and it got to be like racing gas....TOO EXPENSIVE!

I change my oil more than I should, so it is still an expense that haunts me:D

Bo

I also change my oil way too often. I'm way paranoid with this car for some reason.

None the less i've gotten the best pressure and no startup rattle with 15w50 Mobil 1 Synthetic.

As long as the rating of the oil meets the GM requirements (found ind your owners manual), just about any brand will work fine. Just change it often.

Some interesting reading about oil is Here.

:)

I don't want this to turn into a flame post but, what oil should I use. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30. What brand and what weight. I have an aftermarket cam so if that matters let me know.

That's been a very common but a good question. 1st, what part of the country do you live in? If you live in the north where you see hard winters, you do want to use a multi visc oil, that is, if you drive your car in those conditions, remember, the w in 10w-30 stands for winter, that's it. So if you live in the south where winters are mild, there's no need for a multi visc oil and the additives that are used to make an oil multi visc are the very additives that coke up turbo bearings. Since you've been using Mobile 1 I would recommend switching to a Mobile single visc mineral oil like 30 weight high detergent. The additives that are in Mobile 1 are the same additve package that is in all Mobile's premium oils. This is not true with all brands of oil and is why it is not good to change or mix brands. I will say this about synthecs and folks can take it or leave - The molecular stucture of synthetics, what makes them so slick, is also a problem. They are so slick that the additives do not bind with them, anotherwords, the additives can settle out. Another down side is expense, with a turbo car, you should change your oil the minute it starts to discolor, that can be pretty frequent if you run your car hard. Another arguement for synthetics is a high tolerance to heat, this is true but all quality brand oils are approved for the heat turbos generate and have been for some time so again, no added benefit opposed to cost, you still need to change synthetic as often as mineral oil, they both get equally as dirty. I'm not trying to step on any bodies toes here, I'm just stating what is reletively common knowledge in the industry. Some folks get a warm and fuzzy feeling using synthetics and that's fine.

Back