You can type here any text you want

whats the differance between a stage motor and a production block?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOT FAST

i was wondering what the differance between a stage motor and a production motor were? will production 3.8 internals fit in a stage block :confused:

Originally posted by NOT FAST
i was wondering what the differance between a stage motor and a production motor were? will production 3.8 internals fit in a stage block :confused:

Take a look at the block guide on the GNTTYPE site.

Offcenter blocks will take most production components, including an internal oil pickup. On-center blocks require different rods and a different intake due to the bores being moved "on-center" to the rod. You could use a lot of stock parts in a Stage block but considering the cost of the block, it wouldn't make much sense.

Some early on-centers were wet sump blocks, and also accept a internal oil pickup, but these pickups are "custom" deals.

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
about $30k

Scott, if you spent $30K on a Stage II motor you did something wrong:o I think you mean the cost of everything like the tranny, engine management system, suspension, fuel system, etc....

Scott, if you spent $30K on a Stage II motor you did something wrong I think you mean the cost of everything like the tranny, engine management system, suspension, fuel system, etc....

Of course, but that was under shot. Mine was over $40k for the complete job, not including labor or the price of the car, and thats to do the job right.

Building a car to run 8's like yours is not cheap.... Plain and simple! I'm sure guys like Cal or Dave Fiscus have about the same amount of money or more wrapped up in their 8 second TSO cars.... There was a 7 second Duttweiler built single turbo SBF Mustang down here for sale that I saw at a car show..... The guy wanted $60K for the car and everybody thought it was way too expensive that is until he took out a folder that had $120K in receipts:eek: I've seen the same 7 second Mustang on the 'net for sale and now I think he only wants $55K for it..... What a deal!:D ;)

Of course it depends on your ultimate speed goals but it can be done a lot cheaper than $40K. Some have done it with a lot of built up stock parts but run in the high 9's. More a street car though but can surprise some "Bow-Tie or Mustang" Speed Freaks! The TA Motor can be built much cheaper that a Race Type Stage 2 motor due to its design and parts required. (I hope!) Mine is in the works now and it will be finished next year. Gene

Gene, If you build an 8 sec TA block it will cost the same. You need everything a stage motor has and you are spending $3500 for the block, still need a $2000 crank $1000 rods,$1000 roller cam and $1000 Pistons, and I have no clue how much the heads will cost. I paid $4800 for all of the above parts, and it still cost me about $40k. The TA block looks to be a nice piece. Don't get me wrong on the $3500 part either, it is worth it, especially if the block is already machined, and all the builder has to do is assemble the pieces which should save around $1000 to $2000 from a builder. I don't think my car can be put together any cheaper seeing how all of the $40k is parts. I gotta stop...i'm getting depressed now.:(

I gotta stop...i'm getting depressed now.:(

Scott, you need to get out there and race your car!!! That's what you built it for..... Right? Take that fugger and race Jack Cotton and get it on video so all of us can see it:D Really man you should be having fun with the car rather than talking about how expensive it was to build!!!

The glass is half full, NOT half empty!!!

Look on the bright side of things........

:) :cool: ;)

Next week it will be half full. It should be ready to go then.:) Don't let Jack see this cuz he has to install my new program in the Felpro.;)

Next week it will be half full. It should be ready to go then.:) Don't let Jack see this cuz he has to install my new program in the Felpro.;)

Sounds good! Let us know how the car runs.......

Back