Whats with 3.8Ls not liking a manual tranny?

92Turbo

I don't really get it other than the turbo lag. And the losing boost between shifts. Is there any way around this to where I could use a T56? Please help. Thanks alot.:confused:

I think you've got it correct. The reason you'll hear: "Don't do it, it's been tried and will slow the car down" so much on the board is that Buick did just that. They tried a stick behind it and the car slowed down. I read that many years ago in a mag, forget which.

Not too surprising, really. In stock trim, the LC2 is a dog until boost hits at least 8-10psi. So you loose boost with every shift and watch the grass grow while it tries to build up again. :D If we were talking about a high-revving motor in a light car, it might be a different story. All the above IMO, of course.

So is there any way to get around this? Like a way to build boost while shifting? Thanks alot.

The only way around it is to build a twin turbo set up with smaller T-3 style turbos. Just remember to bring cubic dollars to do it since you will need to fabricate new headers, intercooler, down pipes, then the expense of the turbo's.
Basically, you would be starting from scratch. If you want a turbo set up with a stick, you would be better off building a small block Chevy with twin turbos. I am not being cynical here. I, just like everyone else on here doesnt want to see you make a terrible mistake.
The Buick turbo V6 was and still is, a very well thought out combination of parts as it came from GM. From details like intake, header, camshaft, intercooler, transmission ratios and torque convertor stall. This combo of parts has put many cars into the high elevens on their stock parts. My own project car, has a Saginaw 4 speed and that is only because I had no other options as far as transaxles. I just wanted to Buick V6 since it fit so well into the car. Between the stick shift related parts and the transaxle, I could have bought 2 bullet proof TH2004r's from Bruce Toelle.

Sounds like a bandaid to me. Its very rare that any Buick guy uses nitrous, as these engines are so efficient. We can go extremely fast with what GM gave us to work with. Most guys do minor bolt ons such as turbos, injectors, down pipes, or larger intercoolers.
Question for you? Do you want to go fast or are you trying to reinvent the wheel here? You have been told by many people, including myself that the best bet with these engines is to run the automatic. There are guys with basically stock TTA's that run well into the 11's with almost all stock parts. If you have your heart built on building one with a stick, then knock your socks off. Just dont complain when you dump 5 G's into it and have a hard time getting out of the 13's.
Another thing, you will have to fabricate a Buick specific flywheel (since they Chevy item wont fit) to use with the pull style clutch that the T 56 requires and also make your own adapter plate to bolt a T 56 to a Buick engine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

This is not meant to flame you... but you seem to be like a pit bull with your teeth locked on a bone. Let go of the idea for a second so you can see all the sound advice being offered to you. Right now you are bench racing, and all your ideas and dreams are exciting to you, but they are clouding your judgement.
Your dream of rowing through the gears with the sound of power does not fit with the Buick 3.8 SFI setup unless you have, and plan to spend BIG $$$ in mods that will change the motor so much you might as well go with a small block Chevy.
I'm not saying it can't be done and I applaud your sense of adventure and curiousity but try to keep one foot on the ground while you are planning this. Most of the advice that is given to you comes from some pretty smart people who have a few years of this TR stuff under their belts. There also are some of us that have first hand experience with these swaps and have started from scratch making all the mistakes, encountering all the upsets and frustrations and are willing to share their experiences with you if you will listen.

My extra 2 cents worth...
Once you get to the point of even completing the swap and have it running, you will want to have both hands on the wheel when you put your foot down ;)

If you have never been in a TR before, find someone who has one and beg for a ride and you will see/feel that you won't want or need no stinkin manual tranny :)

Paul

Years ago you used to be able to shift faster with a stick then auto, and that's just no longer true. Typically a manual shift takes .1 seconds, in a well shifting auto it's .05.

If the flash speed of the converter is right, then the turbo will allows recover quicker, and there will be less knock as the engine rebuilts rpm and boost.

Autos *soften* the engine loading some, so knock is less of a problem then with a manual tranny.

Would take a serious manual tranny to manage a heathly GN. A 4 speed Jericho comes to mind.

Can you do a manual tranny, sureeee.
All it takes is money, and lots of it.
You'll also need an ecm that has enought smarts in it to handle a different tranny, ie anti-lag strategies, and shift strategies

I know I know I'm sorry too guys. Yes I agree 110% that an automatic will shift alot faster. I just will miss being able to hold the gears in. I don't like automatics at all. BUT if I can get a 3.8L hell I would be happy with a 2 speed :p Thanks guys, an automatic it is. :cool:

I have a partial solution for you... When you get the drivetrain in get yourself an aftermarket automatic console shifter (B&M, Hurst) and you can play hold the shift as long as you like, you can even bang the shifter ala ratchet shifter and pretend it's a standard :)

Paul