You can type here any text you want

When do you lock your converter???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Vader 87

Licensed
When should i lock my converter when i run??? Mods are pte53, stretch IC, 206/206 weber roller, champ irons, thdp, 9x11 3200 stall converter, etc, etc.....Thanks for the help!!!

I'd say 80 to 90 mph , that will let the trans shift into 3rd gear and the convertor to settle down a bit .

I've always had it programmed into my race chips, usualyy around 65-70mph, right after shifting into 3rd.

If you use a switch and lock it at the line it will automatically lock the convertor when it shifts into 2nd gear.

your motor being close to mine power wise id say lock it from the start...it wont lock till after it shifts into second and if ours makes torque as well as mine does it wont hurt you a bit ..

for slower cars locking then that early can slow em down but once you get to where you are the motor will handle it and pull its a** off

Originally posted by Vader 87
When should i lock my converter when i run??? Mods are pte53, stretch IC, 206/206 weber roller, champ irons, thdp, 9x11 3200 stall converter, etc, etc.....Thanks for the help!!!

At your level of performance, you will get the best results by locking it a couple of seconds after it shifts into 3rd.
Turing the switch on at the start of the run and causing it to lock as soon as it hits second gear is awful hard on everything, will bog the engine too much, and could hurt your times. It however won't hurt the rpm's quite so bad if you're running a single disc converter because of the clutch slippage, which will soak up some of the harshness.
If you were running a multi disc clutch, the lock going into second would create a TERRIBLE bog and power loss. ;)

Back