Where can I get my car weighed? I'm finally posting

VADER

Little engine that could
Hi, I don't post much, but always come to this website anyway. I am ready to start tackleing my wheelspin issues (2.5 60 fts). To figure this out I need to get my car weighed to check front/rear distribution. As simple as this sounds, where can I do this? Any sppedshops offer this service, or is it more of a trucking thing?
I heard there is a place that does it at intersection of 210 & I95.

I think most dragstrips have a place where you can weigh your car... Next time you go to the track, ask if they have one. :)

There is a big truck stop at the intersection you mentioned. (210 & I95) They probably do have a scale.

Well, I got my car weighed at 210 & 95. They do it there,just tell the lady first, so she will know your there. The button to press is about 10 ft high. $7 with 2 more times free.
With me in it and about 3/4 tank of gas, it weighed 3580. I figure without me (190)& my full spare & less gas, it probably weighs around 3270 or so. Too bad my distribution was 57 ft/43 rr.

WOW...THAT'S LIGHT!

Wow...really sounds light!!

That's one of the lightest GNs w/o fiberglass I've ever heard of!

3270 lbs. empty sounds more like a 1967 Camaro!

:)

Re: WOW...THAT'S LIGHT!

Originally posted by Two Lane
Wow...really sounds light!!

That's one of the lightest GNs w/o fiberglass I've ever heard of!

3270 lbs. empty sounds more like a 1967 Camaro!

:)

I agree!!! Very light indeed!

I weighed mine yesterday at a near by truck lot and I'm back up to 3640 with me, 3/4 tank of gas, jack, 10lb tool box, etc. I weigh 180, so that brings the car down to 3460. I guess I gained 20lbs from the FMIC.

Can't wait to start going Fiberglass :D .

I could be off on my weights, & besides the scale could be off a little. I'm guessing at the gas, it's not the most accurate gauge, but I probably had a little more than half a tank, & just got $5 worth. I could trim some weight, like all the braces in front & sway bar, or go extreme & remove insulation,door braces,fiberglass bumpers.
Turbo Jorge your car isn't heavy either. Both loaded, I'm only am 60 lbs less.

I guess you're right, I just don't know how you went from 3580 to 3270 when you only weigh 190lbs. You cannot take away what the gas might weigh, I mean unless you race it without gas at the track.

3270 is really light for an "all steel" car!

:confused:

Extremely, strangely and unusually light indeed!

Several fellows have removed lots of items and have not gotten that light!

Approx. 400-500 lbs. below what one might expect.

Might consider finding another set of scales...any race teams near you?

I was going by a dry weight, just guessing of course. Gas @8 lbs a gallon about 3/4 full, & Weld pro star spare with 255 radial, & tire iron & tool bag. So it would be more with gas, I was just figuring it out as a minimum.
More importantly, as long as it is accurate, it is a place for Buick people in NE FL to easily get there car weighed.

Jason,
I do not think gas weighs 8 lbs....jet fuel on a standard day is 6.5 lbs per gallon...

now my ttop car weighed 3500 even with an almost empty tank and the ttops off the car...no spare or anything in the trunk or car...that also includes ALL body braces

for your car, 3580 minus you is 3390 minus the spare and jack 3350 give or take....now if you say you may ahve had 3/4 tank full, we will call that 12 gallons...12X6.5=78
so yer lookin at 3270 or so...which is what you came up with...now obviously you have to have some amount of gas to race...5 gallons at a minimum...so 3300 would be your empty racing weight...not too bad....

dan

my gn at the Reynolds track weighed 3720 lbs with 8 gallons of fuel and me(165lbs)I have really none of the braces and I also was running a set of weld draglites(much lighter than the steeelies)

yeah I think I need a second opinion on the weight .My gn is pretty much standard issue and with the light aluminum wheels I figured it should be lighter.I weighed it a few times and it averaged out to be 3700 lbs.One time it weighed 3570 with me in the car and that sounded better.Is this more of a realistic number?what is the average for a gn?

Krykies!:eek:

That is LITE!

My 87GN weight is/was 3900!

ASC astro roof
stock GN wheels
steel bumpers
solid front sway bar
spare and jack
folding table (SFTBC club president)
and some misc crap like club flyers and cleaning supplies
leather seats...lotsa chrome...12" subs and one amp...

since then, I have moved from steel bumpers to aluminum, cleaned out the trunk, taken out the jack and spare tire.

This weekend, I am getting some aluminum GNX style wheels.

I will eventually be taking the sun roof out, which I am told is good for 150lbs. I did upgrade to the hollow front sway bar, but I added jounce bars and underhood braces. I also added a home made trunk it.

I will report back in a few weeks and let you know how my "diet" went...