You can type here any text you want

which brake shoe goes where

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

john saleeby

I think I messed up changing out my shoes. Which shoe goes to the front and which one to the rear as they are different sizes? Also, the left rear tire locks up with barely any pressure on the brake pedal. Could this be because I reversed the shoe locations or just an adjustment issue? or a combo of the two?

The small (primary) shoe goes to the front of the vehicle. Locking up, look at adjustment, no grease on shoes, shoes in correct position, wheel cylinder piston hanging up, correctly bled, grooves on backing plate where the shoes ride and good return springs. I also like to back off the parking cable adjustment before adjusting rear shoes. Get that correct (slight drag) and then go back to your park brake adjustment at the cable. Should hold at 3 clicks on the park brake. HTH.

I had a '72 Chevelle that would lock a rear tire constantly. When I took off the drum it was like a monkey had randomly assembled the parts.

Looks correct to me, small shoes to the front. Do yourself a favor and get a new set of springs to go with those new shoes and wheel cylinders, called an axle kit, doesn't cost much. HTH.

Gonna get the whole rear shoe kit with springs etc. When they say small shoe on the front, their talking about the asbestos section, correct?

Back