Why get a scan master?

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
I noticed lately lots of "new" 1st time Grand National owners enjoying their cars, many get the advice to buy a scan master. Seems like some heed that and others do not.....
Here is yet another reason they should be standard equipment on your car.
I was below 1/4 tank and pulled into my local Enmark on the way home from work. I filled up with around 15 gallons of "Golden Premium" 93 octane. Later that evening I had to go on an errand and during some spirited acceleration I noticed the scanmaster with a knock retard of 3.8 (!)
I tested the theory with some WOT blasts and indicated retard each time although much less than the 3.8.
I went home and drained the tank into three 5 gallon jugs and went to the local Shell and filled up with 93 Octane Vpower. Blasted out of the lot onto the highway....No retard. More WOT blasts, no retard.
So the next day I am really thinking I will get no resolution but I go back to the Enmark and ask to speak to a manager, attendant tells me"Sorry not here, here is her number." I called no answer. So I went to the Enmark website and filled in a "Contact Us" complaint form.
Monday the district manager calls me and we have a conversation I explain how I know there was something wrong with the fuel and how I can monitor things going on with my car. He asks what day did you fill up? I told him the 7th. He then proceeds to tell me on the 2nd their delivery guy "Cross dropped" fuel into the wrong tanks. They shut the pumps down immediately and the next day the fuel depot sent someone out and they made a "correction" and told the station all was ok. He then said it obviously wasn't fixed.
I mentioned my car required at least 91 octane (that is what I asked Eric @TT to burn my chip for, since its a driver car)
The district manager then asked me what he could do to make it right. I said refund me the difference in cost for the regular 87 to 93 which is about $9. He said give me your address and I'll send a $20 gift card and we apologize for the inconvenience.
Now you guys with your "new" GNs with a chip burned for 93 or worse yet the stock chip, and boost turned up running with out a scan master how would you know besides having head gasket issues that you got some bad fuel? Listen for the knock? That is pretty late to do anything. So for the millionth time make sure your car has a scan master before you start flooring the pedal.
A gas station isn't going to give you a gift card to cover head gaskets....let along you being able to prove it.

Man, you're a cheap date. I would have shot for the moon. I would have said a couple fill-ups or something, not $9.

That was really nice of them to do anything! You are exactly right, even if you don't use the SM for anything else, KR has to be monitored. I have found that most stations in my area only carry 91 oct now, even finding 93 is tough. I carry a gallon of 110 oct unleaded in the trunk in case I am out and can only find 91 oct. At least I can throw a gallon of 110 on about 12 gallons 91 and come really close. Nice write up. Hope the new TR owners take that one to heart.

And invest in a alky kit. As my 600 hp build is almost complete this will be a must unless you want to run around on 112-116 racing fuel that cost $10+ per gallon on the street. After a summer of race fuel the alky kit will pay for itself.

We have 93 in this area and it does make a difference on where you buy it, I try to go to the same place all of the time if I can since you never know what you will get at most places.

You need some means of detecting knock and spark retard. A scan master is an easy way to do it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app