You can type here any text you want

widest wheels on front of Grand national

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
You would think 18x9.5 would be huge on the front? Probably rub lock to lock no problem even with moderately sized tires, but not sure.

not a wide as the rears. there's been a thread on this with the answer.
did you search for it?

I think 9.5 with a 4.78 bs is the widest rim you should run but I have seen a 10" with a spacer. Can't remember what size the spacer was though. I also think the 9.5 rim with a 275mm or a 265mm is probably the the widest rim tire you can or would want to run on the front of a gbody. And remember its better for handling to run a wider rim and slightly narrower tire than to run the biggest tire that will fit on a given wheel size.
I was also just reading the importance of running as close to the same with tire at all positions keeping it "square" as possible. Just some food for thought.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

[quote="I was also just reading the importance of running as close to the same with tire at all positions keeping it "square" as possible. Just some food for thought"/quote]

I read that myself somewhere's back. I'd like to take a gander at it again. Do you remember where you read it?

I will try to find it again but I believe it was on ls1tech or 3rdgen. I think the thread had a smaller wheel company owner who makes wheels for the 3rd and 4th gen fbody cars almost exclusively speaking of this. Of course I can't remember the name of the company either lol. Damn CRS! I do know their wheels are 17x9.5 all around and I think they were based in New Jersey maybe? ? Like I said I'll try and find the thread but if you happen to find it please share. Joel

I though that I read it on here? Joel. - Don't run into too many other Joel's! :)

I though that I read it on here? Joel. - Don't run into too many other Joel's! :)
That's funny. There are actually a few on this board that share our name interestingly enough.

But I'm sure that the thread I was reading was not on this board. Ill keep looking though.

so i could run a 18x9.5 with a 4.75 and a 275 series tire? can i run a 18x10 with a 295 on the rear with the right back spacing? and if so what would that back spacing be?

Key thing here is going to be taking everything into account and planning out your suspension and brakes along with your wheel and tire combo.
It's always important , but since you want to go to pretty much the biggest wheel tire combo it will that much more important to plan ahead or match what you got now.

So what is your setup? What brakes are you running front and rear? Do you plan on changing them? Some brake setups will push the wheel out Alittle possibly cause interference. What are your suspension upgrades? A lower control arm that center the wheel a little more in the wheel wheel will also help in achieving your goal. I think ridetech speed tech spc and dse all offer these. A 275mm tire in the front might rub the front sway bay but I believe the ride tech muscle bar will allow enough room. Ride height will play a factor here as well. What wheel are you wanting to run?
Short answer , yes with a properly planned out front brake and suspension system will allow a 275-35-18. You may have to do some cutting on the inner fenderwells esp at the top to create a pocket for the tire. Any taller and I think you will have issues.
On the rear take the same precautions as on the front. You can run an 18x10 with 4.78 backspace without a notch and depending on ride height should be able to get away without rolling your quarter lips. I think Scott W. from GNS is running a 295-35-18 on the rear of his car but I believe he did roll the lips.
A good person to call would be John at ccw as he is very familiar with these cars and what will work with what.
Now you don't necessarily have to do all these upgrades to fit this wheel tire combo on your car, I was just listing out things that you should take into consideration before ordering a set of wheels. It's better to be cautious up front than to order a set of wheels and have them not fit.
1 last thing that may help is to make sure your body is centered on your frame. These cars are notorious for sitting off to one side and having more clearance on one side than on the other. Well hope this helps Alittle. Joel

One other thing I was reading about that I mentioned earlier was having your tires as close to square matching widths at each position. It gives a more neutral balance to the handling of the car. Having a bigger wider rear tires than front tires will induce more oversteer in the car.

Good sounds like a very nice setup there. I have a similar setup on my car spc uppers and lowers but s10 spindles with tall balljoints and c6 brakes. Eibach springs and dse swaybar. I'm not positive but I believe that the afx ats spindles do not push the wheels out at all. Like I said I suggest giving John at ccw a call to discuss it. He knows what works on these cars. And he is usually willing to share that info and discuss your options. Doesn't mean you have to buy ccw wheels. What wheels do you have in mind?

so i could run a 18x9.5 with a 4.75 and a 275 series tire? can i run a 18x10 with a 295 on the rear with the right back spacing? and if so what would that back spacing be?
We would be happy to help, Feel free to give us a call..

I personally run 18 x 9.5" wheels up front with a 255 wide tire with 13" BAER brakes and 18 x 10" with a 295 in back with BAER brakes in back as well. We can get you fit up perfectly on the tires, brakes and wheels the first time around as we have done many times with other satisfied customers! If you are a customer of ours and want to push the limits in the front we will even loan you our "Wheel rite" tire & wheel simulator so you can measure to see what will fit or not... We are a factory authorized dealer for Ridetech & DSE suspensions with discounts to the TB.com members. Save hundreds through us!

I wouldn't see why not. Once again proper backspacing and tire sizing are the things to be aware of.

I'm still on the fence between autocross or "street car" I've been wanting a TTA and if I buy one I'd want it for auto cross. I think I'm going to build the GN as more of street car. But I want to run 9.5s front and rear when daily driving it. So I'll probably end up with TRZ suspension later on but for now I'm thinking leave it stock until I buy it all.

I run a 17x9.5 in the rear currently and I have 4.75bs and I had to roll the fenders. A 4.25 would be even less clearance.

Back