You can type here any text you want

Won't upshift, need trans expert in Cincinnati

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WE4 Cruiser

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for my first post on this forum ending up to be such a long one, but I need some help.

I'm appealing to the experts here to help me find a transmission expert in Cincinnati who can diagnose and repair my 200-4R upshifting problem, it currently will shift into 2nd normally and then not into 3rd. No strange noises or grinding or anything, it just doesn't upshift.

The plan is to drive my T-Type from Ohio to California next month and I don't want to do the whole trip in 2nd gear!

I bought my 87 T-Type almost 15 years ago, but it has been living with a good friend who lives in Cinci for nearly all of that time while I lived overseas. During that time it's been kept inside but not driven much - only about 2,500 miles total. Recently the storage situation changed and that has prompted me to finally get things arranged so I can go pick it up and drive it the 2,400 miles to the bay area in California, where I settled when I came back to the US.

Last month I went out to look at the car very briefly. Engine ran very well, only problem was with the trans. My friend had reported a few months ago that the trans would upshift to 3rd and then not into overdrive, so it seems the problem may be getting worse. I first confirmed that the trans fluid level was OK, no problem there.

I dropped the trans pan, the fluid was brownish but not extremely dark. There were no bits of metal anywhere in the pan. I put the pan back on and then flushed about 10 quarts of fluid through the trans (disconnected the trans cooler line), until it looked clean. Test drove it but no change, still won't upshift out of 2nd.

Can anyone recommend an expert who can look at the trans? My engine is stock and I don't plan on doing any big mods, so I would prefer not to invest in a super-duty trans at this point. I'm crossing my fingers that it's some kind of solenoid or vacuum actuator, and not actually a mechanical problem with the trans itself?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

John

Extreme Automatics
I am in Cincy also......get in touch with Lonnie he is a great guy

Give Vince Janis a call, he will straighten it out for you. He has been building these transmissions as long as myself. His number is 330-753-6609.

Back