Would it work?

Hot Air 85

turning parts into TR
Could it be possible to buy the cheap e-bay 86-87 headers, pick up a stock 86-87 turbo on the cheap, and rig up plumbing to the stock hot air intake? Of course the main reason would be to increase down pipe / turbo options and keep the cost down. I bought my TR for $1,100 with 64K and i,m trying to make a quick cheap ride but the hot air parts are proving rather pricey. If it would rok what would the draw backs / benifits of this frankenstien set-up be? I,m a novice at this so if this way of base give me a smarty slap and i'll think of something else:biggrin:

If you're looking for good cheap gains, buy just the passenger side header and an uppipe and downpipe. The driver's side header and crossover are fine for performance. A local muffler shop wants $300 to mandrel bend a 3" downpipe in stainless as long as I supply the flange to the turbo. You can get up to a TA62 in the stock housing and a TA64 in the stock 87 housing which will support nearly 700hp so unless you want to try the new GT series turbos, turbo options are not a problem with the stock style setup.