Yup Me again Vac Problem

Martin U

I was out last night trying to get some new #. About 5 sec after my laptop went dead I was very easy rolling into it and i heard a pop of some sort. It didn't seem to drive much diff, except the knock gage went to red at a very low boost press. I have rmi25 in it, so i drove it about two miles home.
No bubbles in rad, no foam on dip stick.
The first thing I did notice was that when I unhooked the vac to accufab FPR no drop in FP. I am for the first time noticing a change in idle while spraying either around the rear pass side intake. Vac leak right? I have not emptied oil pan yet. Something tells me it should be a leak at intake--I always suspected an INTERNAL leak with intake, causing a 142 BLM.
Could a leak at intake cause it to go lean causing a lean cond leading to knock at low boost? Redoing the intake isnt as big a problem as head gaskets. Why would the FP not drop after removing vac line.
If it is the intake gasket will the 1200 work ok & do they come with the end seals? Will lack of vally pan matter? GN1 heads I was just getting all the right # on my TPS after hogging the mounting slots out. First time I have ever had 4.5 on tps O want to get to woodward BAD
Mart

Any Ideas? I have the intake off and did not find anything. I also have one corner up on a stand and the pipes look might close. I think I will find a shop that picks the car uo by the tires so it is weight loaded and have them adjust pipes for max clearance.

............ The first thing I did notice was that when I unhooked the vac to accufab FPR no drop in FP.........

Martin,
You have a few strange set of circumstances.

First off, if you remove the hose from the FPR, pressure would rise, not drop.
If however there is no change, I would suspect the hose and connections in the back of the intake (Yes, that one! :mad: ), the FPR, the pump, or gauge.

............ I am for the first time noticing a change in idle while spraying either around the rear pass side intake. Vac leak right? ........... Something tells me it should be a leak at intake--I always suspected an INTERNAL leak with intake, causing a 142 BLM. ..........

Sounds like a vacuum leak.
This symptom combined with the FP issue, I suspect the hose.
This is a serious issue as it also affects your PAC output, provided you have the OEM "T". I would also look at the O-rings very closely.

While 142 BLM is not "perfect", is is not that bad.
A combination of small things will get the BLM's up quickly, i.e;
-Fuel pressure
-MAF calibration
-Vacuum leaks
-PCV - Watch this one!

If you run the translator, and want to get closer to the "perfect 128", you can add idle fuel in the translator.

............ Could a leak at intake cause it to go lean causing a lean cond leading to knock at low boost? Redoing the intake isnt as big a problem as head gaskets. Why would the FP not drop after removing vac line. .........
My suspicious mind tells me you do not have/had :tongue: an intake leak.
If the system is under boost, you will not loose that much of a leak.
"IF" is was a leak, your idel BLM's would be much higher than 142.

............ If it is the intake gasket will the 1200 work ok & do they come with the end seals? Will lack of vally pan matter? GN1 heads I was just getting all the right # on my TPS after hogging the mounting slots out. First time I have ever had 4.5 on tps O want to get to woodward BAD
Mart

For the heads you run, you need to Felpro 1200 gaskets.
The 1200's do NOT have the rubber ends in the package.

Valley pan does a few things for our performance minded set-ups;
Reduces hot oil splash on the bottom of the intake
Keeps oil out of the PCV
Try to cut up an old "Valley pan" and you can use the valley pan section. :biggrin:

Anything over 3.5V on the TPS would be OK with the TT chip.
Your PL log will indicate the PE.

Hope this helps.