10.99 on E85? Got a Couple Questions

"Yes. 10psi on a stage II build will exert the same pressure on stock HGs as an unopened motor at 30psi. If you're lifting heads with a small turbo at 30, it ain't the 30psi doing it; it's a bad tune" This is what you said ... followed by "I can tell you that the air isn't making it past the valves so how is it lifting the head? If anything, we should be blowing intakes off at 30+psi!"

I replied on a stage II ... how can the load on the head gasket and head bolts be the same if it has 6 additional bolts and a thicker deck cylinder head and larger area to spread that load ! come on man be real here .

I've mentioned all else equal, to keep the idea focused on cylinder pressure. B/C of the extra hp capabilities, more head bolts were needed on a stage II but it's the hp made and not the boost level that dictates this.

your also suggesting that additional boost isn't exerting additional cylinder pressure at all as its not making it past valves and is just build up in the intake .. THIS IS WHAT YOUR SAYING ...which is NOT RIGHT !

I'm not saying that at all; sorry you misunderstood. Additional boost makes more air get past the valves but an additional 10psi on a small turbo unopened engine moves a LOT less additional air than a stage II engine with an additional 10psi from a large turbo. The extra 10psi stays the same but the stage II 10psi jump will increase cylinder pressure and hg stress WAY more than than same 10psi additional on a 109 engine. This is why unopened engines aren't too bad to run at 30psi if you can keep the intake temp down and detonation at bay; the hg's will hold up just fine as again; hg stress is caused by hp, not boost level specifically. This is what I'm stating that you keep running around.

SO is 10 psi and 30 psi on a stock motor .. the same load on the stock head gasket / head bolts ??

No, I never stated that was the case. I stated that 500hp on a 10psi stage II @ 5000rpm will have similar cylinder pressure and hg stress as a 109 with 30psi also making 500hp @ 5000rpm.

power is all about BMEP brake mean effective pressure or in other words the average pressure over the full power stroke.use your octane level ,fuel ratio and advance curve to control your flame speed and you can make power without dramatically increasing maximum cylinder pressure .you could also make the power by cranking the advance in and causeing higher peak pressure and heat but thats harder on parts and head gaskets.thats s why e85 makes more torque and power on the same boost it burns longer on the downstroke

Thank you. This makes sense to me.

Wait wait wait ... I didn't start anything here so please don't pin it on me .... I made a simple simple statement in comment to someone else's post on running 30 psi on a TA 61 with a stock motor ..

all I said was the stock head gaskets and bolts wont be happy for long and I got jumped on about cylinder pressure being the same on 10 psi and 30 psi followed by 3 guys that say 30 psi with a bigger turbo is a non issue and no problem for a stocker ...

I never said it wasn't possible.. I never said it couldn't be done .. I know its possible been there done that ... But I sure as hell wouldn't setup a customers car to run around on 30 psi on E85 and call it good.
You know as well as I do whats gonna happen .. and then its gonna be another thread about "YOUR TUNE"

Wow has this forum changed in 15 years

They only part of my post directed towards you was the part your name was in. The beginning was joking with Steve.

Some of you guys take this hobby way too serious. I see why some of the most accomplished Turbo Buick guys no longer post.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

...Some of you guys take this hobby way too serious. I see why some of the most accomplished Turbo Buick guys no longer post.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I agree to an extent. But are the real guru's too good to teach us new guys now? Everyone was new at some point, and there have always been people spouting off on this and other boards and at tracks across the nation. I think people just change and their interests come and go, but blaming the current community seems wrong. There are plenty of experienced people that still chime in, there are people getting things done in new ways that contribute, and there will be others that come and go through this community in the future. Anyone who is so arrogant to think that they are too good to post on this board isn't someone I want to deal much with anyway.

I appreciate anyone who posts on this board. Even turbo89!

Last post was June 28th?? I just made a fresh batch of popcorn....shoulda checked the dates first. Dammit.:banghead: