140 amp or 200 amp alternator Powermaster?

I have run a 140 for years with dual fans as well, plus other electrical components, never any problem and holes 13.6 volts all the times.
But i'm tight with my $$$ so I would purchase the 140 Amps. But Toby I know you have deep pockets so go for it. Lol ....

I have a AutoZone 140amp out of a lt1 caprice . Cost me alil over 100$ and it has a lifetime warranty . It has worked perfect and if there is any issue at all I can just drive down the street and swap it .

I also agree on reading the older posts on this. Stock alternator with everything hot wired , volt booster and your good to go.

My alternator works fine, which is a pontiac transport alternator, I just wanted a chrome one. So it appears 140 should be it.

My alternator works fine, which is a pontiac transport alternator, I just wanted a chrome one. So it appears 140 should be it.
I have had the powermaster 140 for a couple of years, no issues. However if you use the powermaster pulley you will need a shorter belt

I have had the powermaster 140 for a couple of years, no issues. However if you use the powermaster pulley you will need a shorter belt

Good point, because I would assume if you were to replace the pulley to the stock size the alternator would not spin as fast yielding less output. Thinking correctly?

I have the PM200 could it be overkill? maybe but no problems. I would rather have more than not enough.

I have a 140 amp, dual fans, audio amps, etc and it was more than enough. Currently I have a rebuilt 120 stock alt on there and haven't had any issues either. All my wiring and grounds have been upgraded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens when the volt booster activates? Will a 200 amp alternator provide more voltage to the system than a 140 amp when the volt booster is active?

IMG_8917.JPG
I got a chrome Powermaster 170 amp alternator from Jegs. Bolted up but haven't used it yet.

Isn't it quite simple?

First be sure everything is wired-up real nice. Good continuous feeds to the battery, starter, good grounds, hot-wires, relays, no undersized wire gauge, etc.

Then just add up all the amps on all the accessories that need to run, and then add all the amps for all the accessories you plan to run at the same time. Then throw 10 percent on top for safety.

BTW....
I think I ended up getting something like a 180 amp. It was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away......

The chrome looks good, but chrome is a very good insulator and will keep heat from transferring out of the unit.

Maybe because of our extreme heat here in the desert that is not normal for extended periods in other parts of the country, but I do not know of any local T-R with a chrome alt that will last more than 2 summer seasons!

Years ago i had my stock one chrome plated, but after replacing the internal regulator every year, i gave up on it?

A friend wanted it for his GN, and sure enough, it died on him the first year.

Another local owner ended up with 2 Powermaster alts as he drives his GN a LOT [over 250k miles], and carries the spare in his trunk! :)