145 MPH SPEEDOMETER

Reeder7584

New to the thread starting, so I'm sorry if this isn't correct place.

I'm trying to figure out if its possible to have a 145mph cluster with a kmh option. I know you can get an overlay from Kirban without the kilometers. Thanks in advance.

I took a KMH Canadian TR speedo and had a professional speedo shop calibrate it to MPH, I also had the odometer set to the milage on the original speedo and then installed it, but I had them black out the red/orange MPH scale above the larger white scale.

I never thought to have KMH silk screened on it but then again, I really would have no use for it.

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a MPH with the orange KHM above. I bought the car in pieces and that was pretty much the only thing that wasnt apart. So my reason for the thread, (which I now realize I didnt put into the first message) was to find out if someone had messed with it, if it was something special/rare, or if it was an option installed when ordered. I couldnt find an RPO code for a 145mph cluster.

Now I'm confused.

These cars came with an 85 MPH (large white scale) - 140 KPH (small red/orange scale) speedo for the US. The 85 MPH being a laughable concession to the insurance industry.......

They came with a 140 KPH (large white scale) - 85 MPH (small red/orange scale) speedo for Canada, Mexico, etc.......

I'm pretty certain those were the only two speedos for TR's.

Never heard of a 145 MPH or KPH speedo on these cars.

You're saying you have something different? Post up a pic if you can.

Here are some pics of my speedo after the conversion to MPH. I havesome "befores" somewhere but I can't find them anywhere.....

Attachments

• 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 640
  • P9160100.JPG
    P9160100.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 526
  • P9160104.JPG
    P9160104.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 564
Sorry for being confusing. I dont have a picture of the speedometer from my car, but this is a pic on ebay from an 87 Grand National with a "Police Package". Its the same speedo in my 86.

I'm interested in finding out more details of what I have. When I purchased the GN puzzle 5+ years ago, so many parts were missing and some small details (mostly the speedometer) always made me question if it was a real GN or a clone. Obviously my only saving grace was the WE2 stamped on the RPO sticker.

I had not heard of a police package option until yesterday when I stumbled upon an article about the FBI cars. They supposedly had a 145mph speedometer, no limiter and other minor details.
I dont think you can assume I have a FBI/Police vehicle based on one aspect and Im far from hitting 140mph anytime soon. So I figured I'd talk to experts like yourself to see if the speedometer was a common option or if there are other differences that I can look for to uncover some history of my vehicle.

Attachments

• SPEEDO 145.jpg
    SPEEDO 145.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 681
Well then, with all the other attending bullshit about the "police" built GN's and the picture you posted up, I'll just go ahead and call complete bullshit on this thread and leave it at that.

Ok, thanks for the info on the other Canada/Mexico thing. I'll post a pic of my speedo when I get to the shop tomorrow.

TurboTGuy, I wasnt saying the expert comment to be a dick. I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to pull the wool over your eyes on this subject. I know you and a ton of other people are experts on these cars, and post all the time. Im looking for help which is why I posted.

I added 2 pics of my speedometer, one has the part number too. (Unless thats the number for the dust cover.) Are there any signs I can look for to see if the speedo is an overlay? Is it possible that GM made 145mph speedometers from another G-body that someone fit into mine?

I would like to put as many things back to original. The guy I purchased from was not very smart and made a number of stupid changes to the vehicle that I've been trying to fix.

Attachments

• IMG_3632.JPG
    IMG_3632.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 412
  • IMG_3633.JPG
    IMG_3633.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 341
I'm far from any kind of expert ,I only know about 10% of what I should know about these cars.

I do strongly suspect that what you have is a Kirban's speedometer overlay, the 85 mph speedo is under it. Hopefully the peel off backing on the overlay won't pull the original silk screened numbers off if you decide to remove it and go back to original.

BTW, that part number is for just the clear plastic lens on the front of the speedo.

From the Kirban Performance website -

1984-1987 Regal -
“145-mph SPEEDOMETER FACE PLATE” DECAL

Our 145 mph speedometer decal is used to convert the reading from 85 to 145 mph on a stock faceplate.

NOTE - This 145 mph speedometer decal is NOT for a digital dash!

It’s an inexpensive solution to the mediocre 85-mph speedometer found in all 1984-1987 Regals.

Until now you only had two choices… buy the entire gauge cluster similar to the GNX or buy another core and pay $175-$225 to get yours refaced and recalibrated.

Our solution is simple. Most major cities have companies that are able to recalibrate your speedometer. This 145-mph decal is done in the same identical two colors as the original plate. It would pass for a GM original. The new decal numbers go from 5-145 mph, but does NOT show kilometers. The imprint is sharp and easy to read. The quality is superb! The decal is exact size and has the opening for the trip odometer and factory openings in your speedometer panel die-cut out of the decal for exact positioning. You MUST have the trip odometer for it to fit. Decal is made of a high-quality hard, thick material that will NOT bubble and has a peel-off backing to affix to your original face plate.

You must have your speedometer recalibrated once this is applied for it to read correctly. It’s all done in the head unit, usually by changing out the hair spring that controls the actual speedo needle. We do not recommend a simple reducer in the speedometer cable because it will not accurately record the miles you travel. If you live in or near a fairly large city, look in the phone book for a speedometer shop. If none are listed, check with your local GM dealer and they should be able to tell you who can do it. Some of the major radio repair shops also recalibrate speedometers, too (average recalibration cost is between $65-$75).

If you can’t find someone to do it, you can send your unit to us by UPS. We will affix the decal and have it recalibrated locally, usually within one business day. After it’s recalibrated, we will send it back to you UPS Second Day Air. This way you can have it back usually within 5 working days.

PRICING: Our 145-mph speedometer face plate thick decal is $25. OR send us your speedometer unit and we’ll have our new 145-mph face plate decal applied, then have it recalibrated and returned to you UPS Second Day Air for just $129.95. This cost also includes UPS Second Day Air shipping back. Allow 5 working days once we receive it.

HINTS FOR REMOVING YOUR UNIT: We’ve checked with our local Buick mechanic and they are allowed 30 minutes to remove and install the speedometer unit. If you have any problems, check with your own Buick mechanic. The unit comes out from the front. The tilt column allows for easy access. The gas gauge and tech/boost unit is all on one face plate which you must remove first before pulling the speedometer out of the housing. The speedometer cable is clipped onto the back of the unit for easy removal.

6508 - 1984-1987 Regal - “145-mph Speedometer Face Plate” Decal

Did you ever figure out if your car actually had a "Police Package" on it?

A new speedo thread is on the board right now and it reminded me of this one.

Man, I must have been drinkin' and mad about something when I posted #7, sorry for being a dick.

Guys has anyone tried removing the inline reducer (under the hood) and. Just attach the 2 cables together?!