15 psi max

ALblackT

I finally got the car running, where I can do some tuning. Once reaching 16 lbs, I got some kr, and backed it back down. So I have stock boost levels:confused:. I have a larger turbo (don't know what size). Three inch dp, 42 lb injectors, tt chip for 17-19 lbs. Hot wired pump, also don't know for sure which, And 42 lbs fuel pressure at idle with no vac. Running 92 octane with some sea foam to help clean things out.
Any tips on where to start eliminating the kr so I can get up to that 16 or 17 psi. Shouldn't that be possible with my mods?
Also, turbo seems slow to spool. I have a stock converter, and like I said, no idea on the turbo size. This is my first turbo car, so I guess it could be normal. Just don't know

Thanks

Knowing what turbo you have would help a ton. With a stock stall and a "bigger" turbo, I'd expect you to see some lag for sure. As far as the boost is concerned, with 92 octane, you'd be running on the edge trying run 17 lbs. How much is "some" kr? That's important. I can definitely tell you that you will most likely have to invest in another converter to match whatever turbo it is that you are running. Having some numbers from the scantool would help as well...thats assuming you have one. Let us know

Before trying to tune out the kr I would suggest running through that seafoam and get some good gas in it.

Have you done all the "Spring cleaning" items?

I'll get some firm numbers this evening. I know I turned it up too high, and got over 12 degrees once. Now it's around 1 degree

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I don't think you'll notice much difference between 15psi and 17psi boost. That is kind of where power starts to build in the seat of the pants and with 92 octane, you're already done. These cars love a looser converter to get off the line. Might as well prepare to get an alky system unless you really want to run race or av gas.

I'll get some firm numbers this evening. I know I turned it up too high, and got over 12 degrees once. Now it's around 1 degree

you need to tune for ZERO degree.:) That 92 alone is holding you back

That's what I'm shooting for, 0 degree. It seems to only give my a little kr when I let off after a hard boost. But not all the time. I'm thinking it's going to be octane fluctuation at this point. What I'm wondering about is, isn't factory boost 15? After the several mods I have, I can only get 15? Send like a lot of money and time to get, maybe 2 lbs more boost. I guess I need to find a local place I can get some high octane fuel.

Well ok then. That sounds more comforting.

my aftermarket boost gauge was reading approx 12-13psi before chip change. installing the street 93 TT is up to about 14psi with no other changes. I kind of expected the 16-17psi advertised but i understand why it's not going there now.

16-17 is a recommended boost level for the programed opening (duty cycle) of the injectors (which might be the limit of the injectors if injectors are small) and the timing in the chip based on the octane of the fuel used , its not a guarantee that your car will be able to run that much boost or that it will magically jump up to that boost but that if things are right (fuel pressure, fuel delivery, blms etc ) that the chip should have enough fuel for 16-17 and timing that should be ok at that boost . and to reach that boost you may need a manual boost controller or adjustable wastegate as the stock setup may not get there
you could have knock because of a lean condition or simply that the octane of the fuel for the conditions you have wont support any more boost . if your 02s are low at wot then you need to add more fuel in the chip . if o2s are good then the octane is not up to par for conditions

its summer and its hot ..hotter than it should be for some areas (its 95 right now in north east ) , heat affects the air charge and requires more octane to prevent detonation
ive seen guys here run a stock location intercooler without a scoop or a shroud , that will affect the boost you can run . how cool the engine runs will also affect the amount of boost , drop the coolant temp and you should be able to squeeze some more boost out of it.
if the fuel is there the car should able to run more boost with cooler air, how much can only be determined by the knock sensor

if you want to run more boost then increase octane (race fuel or convert to e85) or decrease charge air temps (better intercooler, alky)
you could also drop some timing

See if you can get some pictures of your turbo posted, you need to know what you have anyway if you ever plan on a new chip & will help others guide you to a decent tune. With the combo I have ( see sig ) minus the alky, I was able to get 17lbs on 93 octane with no knock. With the added boost controller & alky I run 20-21lbs on the street and there is still more there. Just go slow and dial in each add on.

1374167296385.jpg
this is it. I've posted here before, and was told the only way to tell was to open it up and measure.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1374167334114.jpg
    1374167334114.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 1374167359825.jpg
    1374167359825.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 66
Just went for a short drive at lunch. 1.2 kr at 15 lbs. I'm hoping that is because it's hot as hell here.

I don't get kr until they end of the pull. I have the slow Scanmaster though.

The SM shows the Lowest O2 & highest kr when you check after a pull right? I guess the only way to know during a pull would be to video tape the SM.

That is correct about the recall button. I was just curious as to when the kr came. Did it happen between the 1-2 shift? Did it happen as soon as you put the hammer down? O2's around or above 790 throughout the pull? It's something that I monitor when I go WOT, oppose to the recall button. My scanmaster is slow too. Lol