1984 Buick GN Interior Paint

gnfirefighter

BLACK SHEEP
I am restoring all of the trim on my 84 GN. It is light sand grey....I found a local distributor that will match the paint. Does anyone know the correct paint code for this car....Is it #13????

Ya - i'm doing that and I need to know also.

What did you do to the surface of the plastic parts you painted ? Did ya sand 'um or just a light scuff ? I'm afraid to sand um cause they have a textured surface......

Back to the old drawing board

I searched old threads and found someone requested paint sold at PEP Boys. Its made by Plasti-Kote and the color is Buckskin. I was dissapointed with the color because it is too yellow instead of grey. I found a company SEM on the web that will match the color exact. Just search them on the Web and contact your local rep from there.....

My code was 60I medium cognac (91), good luck finding it. GNfirefighter has the right idea by going to SEM. You will know that the paint is made for plastic, they will also have what you need for preping and priming so it sticks.
I need to do my interior parts too, let us know how you make out.

Sem

I've used the sem interior paint, (light sand) it's a super close match. Car Quest in my area sells it and the lady there does color matching. She did that to match the glove box. I don't know the exact code color for the light sand I know it's 1000 something.

84GNGary said:
My code was 60I medium cognac (91), good luck finding it. GNfirefighter has the right idea by going to SEM. You will know that the paint is made for plastic, they will also have what you need for preping and priming so it sticks.
Dumb question ......... Do you know what the paint code is?
If I walked into a specialty store, what do I tell them I need? 60I? 91?
Is there a 4-6 digit paint code listed somehwere?

Found it!

After an pretty exhaustive search (weeks), I located a Sherwin Williams Automotive paint store who is willing to work with me. They will mix and load a few aerosol cans for me and it will be in fact vinyl paint. Can price is right at $7/can PLUS paint cost which is not yet determined. I am having a few mixed (3/pint). I expect $10-15 for the perfect match. Anyone interested let me know.

Jerryl, keep us posted on your results, pics would be great. Do you have to use a primer or a bonding agent (just went through that painting the headlight bezels). I may be interested in some paint but I do have a SEM distributor close by and I will check with them first. Plus I will not be doing this till at least spring.

I was able to get the paint code from Sherwin Williams:
WA7690, 60 (1983 - 1984 Buick) - Interior paint
This is Lt Sand gray. Sounds like that is what the original color was in my car occording to the color plate (Thanks Eric "The Man" Fisher!!)

Correction(s) ..........
The paint will be around $50/pint (Can be used for vinyl and plastic) and an additional $6.95/can (3 cans/pint). This will be the highest quality they offer (There are two types) and will not peel or flake. Bonding for vinyl and plastic are different and required. $17.95/can.

Gary,
Can you post some clear pictures of the inside so we can see the color?
Is it in fact "Lt sand Gray" or .......... ????

See if these help. Maybe I misread the rpo code or the code decoder I found on the net is wrong. I always thought it was lightsand too. Since you are going to color match does the name really matter :confused:

Just went and checked the rpo code I have 60H & 60I, do not have 60C.

Attachments

• interior 1.jpg
    interior 1.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 563
  • interior 2.jpg
    interior 2.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 522
84GNGary said:
See if these help. Maybe I misread the rpo code or the code decoder I found on the net is wrong. I always thought it was lightsand too. Since you are going to color match does the name really matter :confused:
Just went and checked the rpo code I have 60H & 60I, do not have 60C.

Thanks for the pics.
I decided not to color match and repaint with the original color.
Should be a LOT easier to keep clean. :biggrin:

Jerryl said:
Thanks for the pics.
I decided not to color match and repaint with the original color.
Should be a LOT easier to keep clean. :biggrin:

So what color do you have and what is it's name & code ???
Is it the same as my car ?

84GNGary said:
So what color do you have and what is it's name & code ???
Is it the same as my car ?
Honestly, I was unable to determine the color from the pictures.
I suspect the previous owner of my car changed a few things which really no longer surprises me. As far as the color reference book and my attained knowledge on this "steep learning curve", my color code is 60H.

See related thread.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176864

Edit:
This is a Sherwin Williams Automotive Division Code tag

Attachments

• 84 GN interior.jpg
    84 GN interior.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 659
I got this off the net, maybe Turbofish can verify its accuracy.

602 TRIM COMBINATION, LEATHER, LT DRIFTWOOD (2)
603 TRIM COMBINATION, LEATHER, LT DRIFTWOOD (3)
604 TRIM COMBINATION, LEATHER, LT DRIFTWOOD (4)
609 SEAT BELT COLOR, MED COGNAC (91)
60B TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, LT DRIFTWOOD ( B)
60C TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, MED COGNAC (C) (91)
60D TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, LT DRIFTWOOD (D)
60E TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, LT DRIFTWOOD (E)
60G TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, LT DRIFTWOOD (G)
60H TRIM COMBINATION, CLOTH, LT DRIFTWOOD (H)
60I INTERIOR TRIM, MED COGNAC (91)

I have 60H, 60I & 609. 60C looks to be your cloth trim color. I tried to take another pic but the color looks too dark. Does Sherman Williams list Med Cognac as a color ? On my car the med cognac & Lt driftwood almost look the same.
DOES ANYONE HAVE INTERIOR PAINT CHIPS FROM 84 :confused:

Jerryl, this place will also mix up interior paint, and it may be a lot cheaper $25 per spray can. Go to search by number enter WA7690. The light sand gray for 84 is pretty close to my trim color. See what you think.
http://www.paintscratch.com/search.html

I cannot find by name, medium cognac and light driftwood was not used in 84 and is kind of brown. Looks like Eric was right.

Paint Codes and where to buy them

Many years ago I restored the interior of my GN
Here are the paint codes that matched the interior 99.9%
C8384L (CODE 60AN) Color is Light Sandstone Gray
C8447l (CODE 82CN) Color is Med Dark Gray
c8327L (CODE 42DN) Color is Dark Gray Fern

Company I bought them from was called Tower Paint, located in the mid west.
I am looking for the phone number, I think I searched on the internet and found it. I remember they cost about $20 each plus shipping