1984 Buick GN Interior Paint

84GNGary said:
Jerryl, this place will also mix up interior paint, and it may be a lot cheaper $25 per spray can. Go to search by number enter WA7690. The light sand gray for 84 is pretty close to my trim color. See what you think.
http://www.paintscratch.com/search.html
Gary,
As far as I am aware, at the time of this writing, you are the ONLY one who is an original owner of a 1984 GN and therefore the only one who can verify the interior color against the code.

If the "light sand gray" is the same or pretty close to your interior trim (center piece, kick panels, arm rest, etc) than it looks like we finally have located the paint code! Can you confirm this statement?

Is there anything in the interior besides the dash that is NOT this color?

Jerryl said:

I pulled this picture off of eBay and if I'm not mistaken wasn't the kick panels a medium gray? Its hard to tell in the picture but they do look darker. The only reason I say this is because I have had a 82 GN and a 83 T-Type with the light sand gray interiors and there was 3 distinct colors used in the interior. That seems to be the way Buick did things before 85 as I also had a 84 Riviera T-Type that had 5 different colors in the gray interior. The kick panels were a medium looking gray that might be the exact same shade used in the 85-87 Regal. The instrument panel was a dark gray or charcoal. The kicks were a medium gray and everythings else was light sand gray.

Jerryl said:
Gary,
As far as I am aware, at the time of this writing, you are the ONLY one who is an original owner of a 1984 GN and therefore the only one who can verify the interior color against the code.

If the "light sand gray" is the same or pretty close to your interior trim (center piece, kick panels, arm rest, etc) than it looks like we finally have located the paint code! Can you confirm this statement?

Jerryl,
Yes, the light sand gray looks to be a very close match. I compared the internet paint chip color to the hinge cover color on the drivers seat that is not faded or discolored. The kick panels are a darker grey I will compare them to the colors provided by Sebryan this weekend. I also have easy access to 87 GN's so I can also compare to them if necessary. The kick panels are the only trim pieces that are darker gray, everything else is light sand grey, door moldings, front & rear arm rests, all window moldings & trim, console & shifter handle and all rear seat molding around the side windows.

Gary, Eric,

NICE Teamwork gentlemen!
My paint is ready and will pick it up on Monday.

I realize this thread was resurrected from the "death" but anyone searching for interior trim color paint code for 1984 GN should be able to get all documentation needed to restore or freashen up the interior.

Paint Codes

Hi guys just reading the thread and had to add my .02 worth
I went thru the same thing about 3 months ago searched high and low for the paint codes found them only to discover that the code was no good at the paint store (was Listed as obsolete no mix availiable) after many days with the paint books and after staring at about 100 chips came up with the proper (or what is pretty damn close to it ) took the chip from 84 and compared with the 83 even used the fancy color match machine and they were the same it turns out to be Code 60 general motors corp. for 1983 caddys thats right caddys Light Sand Gray had the mix me up a half gallon and procedded to strip the interior out of my car and repaint Oh yeah its Vinly Color Dupont paint guy told me it will stick to anything and so far so good just remember this stuff aint cheap

Soon this listing will be gone forever with no record of the pictures.
I am therefore posting some of the pics for future access. Here are my observations;
Picture 1. Notice the 3 distinct colors in the interior.
Picture 2. Door and center console colors.
Picture 3. Notice the color of the trunk?
Picture 4. Full door with stickers.
Picture 5. Low Mileage indicating high probability of originality.

Attachments

• 84 GN1.jpg
    84 GN1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 590
  • 84 GN2.jpg
    84 GN2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 468
  • 84 GN3.jpg
    84 GN3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 465
  • 84 GN4.jpg
    84 GN4.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 443
  • 84 GN5.jpg
    84 GN5.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 436
Jerryl said:
Picture 3. Notice the color of the trunk?

Yeah I'm always borrowing some one elses pictures too. And I'd just like to say Thank You to those of you who take the time to post really nice pictures in your auctions and on your web pages.

Jerry,you bring up an interesting subject on the trunk. I believe there were two different ways to do the trunk on a 84-85 hot air. Let me explain. In 84-85 there were 2 assembly lines for turbo car production. Pontiac MI and Flint MI. All 86-87 turbo cars were made at Pontiac. This 84 GN with the silver-gray trunk is a Flint car. The 11th character of the VIN denotes this. P is for Pontiac and H is for Flint. BTW both lines have been shut down for good and are history. If you were to take the carpet out of your car you would see the same silver type paint on the floor pan. Its some type of sealer to keep the body from rusting. Cars from both lines have it only every Pontiac built car that I have seen has some type of black sealer sprayed over the silver in the trunk area. I'm not 100% for sure but maybe the Flint cars didn't which explains why it is silver on this car.

I'm going to have to pay more attention to some of these details from now on when I see these cars(G-bodies) in the salvage yards. Thats were I get almost all of my information when I cant find any printed matter on our cars.

I am going to throw a wrench in your theory Eric :) . I have an H for the 11th character in my VIN. My trunk is black, including the carpet which is original. I apoligize for the pic quality I need to get a better digital camera. If the wheel well looks gray it is due to the 500 watt light shining in the trunk. The floor pan is black in some spots and silver in other spots.

I was going to question the trunk and carpet color too. The more we discuss things the more I think they did'nt have a clue when they were building these cars. They had no standard for what went into them. Case in point the hood ornament that was questioned by me and others on another 84 GN for sale. But there were photos from a article in 84 that show a GN with one. I will swear on a stack of Bibles about the authenticity of my GN, but what we maybe learning is that what applies to one car may not necessaily apply to another.

Attachments

• trunk1.jpg
    trunk1.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 390
  • trunk2.jpg
    trunk2.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 380
84GNGary said:
......... The more we discuss things the more I think they did'nt have a clue when they were building these cars. They had no standard for what went into them ........ what we maybe learning is that what applies to one car may not necessaily apply to another.
I am as far from an expert as one can get but it sure looks like each of the 84 GN's were to an extend "cutomized and individualized" from the factory.

mine was silver, and i painted mine with the trunk splatter paint cuz it had surface rust in it. soon i will be doing a frame off resto mod on the car and bring it back to original except for the 87 engine.

Well I was back at the boneyards looking over the G-bodies this weekend and didn't come to any other new conclusions. There was a difference in the technique depending on which plant it was built but since I didn't really have a whole lot of examples to look at I wont write anything into stone yet. I did notice that cars built on the Arlington TX line had the trunks painted exterior color before the black was sprayed on though.

You know I might be imagining seeing this but if you look real close on Jerrys photo #3 doesnt it look like there is a wire running along the wheelhouse and floor and the conduit has been painted the same color of silver? The harness for the taillamps and fuel pump run on that side of the car and it shouldn't have anything on it because it was installed after the paint. I wonder if some one has done some detailing in the trunk?

what is the "wa" code for the dark grey color on the dash of the 84 gn?

mybuick said:
what is the "wa" code for the dark grey color on the dash of the 84 gn?
I couldn't tell you. I had to take my glove box door down to the paint supply and have them match it. It was a perfect match. The brand of paint is Specialty and its made by PPG. I have found this is the best way to get the correct color, even when I have the paint codes. For some reason all I was able to find were the codes for 85 and newer.

So, has anyone determined the matching SEM code/color name for a matching can to the lt sand grey?

I beleive it's WA 7690
Do a search on this board lots of posts about the colors

I don't see that on the aerosol color chart. I see things like 15123-Sante Fe, 15143-Sandstone, 15283-Pescadero Sand, etc.

I have a chart I downloaded from their website, but I won't trust the color quality of the printout. The local dealer doesn't have a current chart, so I have to take a panel and match the caps they have in stock. I would like to know if there was a consensus that SEM color "kitty litter gray" is the accepted match for Buick's "light sand grey". Especially if they don't happen to have that particular one in stock, I can ask then to order it.

Thanks.