1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

hello; Speaking of PT a co worker brought in the Aug. 2011 issue of Car and Driver. In it there's a 69PT Camaro that you should check out. Supercharged and intercooled pushrod 16 valve V-8, alum. block and heads , port fuel injected 428 with a 6 speeed manual. It's real nice. The owner Mark Stielow even wrote a book on the PT subject called (Pro Touring Engineered Performance) for you who are might be interested.
I think if you google "Red Devil" 69 Camaro you'll find it.
IBBY

Haha. Mark actually is credited to inventing modern pro touring. He builds a new 69 camaro every year and pushes the envelope every time. I've met him and got to take a ride in "mule". This is my 4th pro-touring car, just my first Buick :). I'll check the article out though, thanks

Haha. Mark actually is credited to inventing modern pro touring. He builds a new 69 camaro every year and pushes the envelope every time. I've met him and got to take a ride in "mule". This is my 4th pro-touring car, just my first Buick :). I'll check the article out though, thanks

He builds other cars too, but yup...he started the craze...
A buddy of mine from Tracy who is currently building a 69 Camaro twin turbo'd protrouring ride, knows him and a few other of the PT heavies.

You spend time on Lateral-g.net :: The g-Machine Network.  A Pro-Touring and g-Machine Community with pictures and forums and Pro-Touring.com - Welcome to Pro-Touring.com too?

I've been on both those sites but honestly they are better for more mainstream cars I feel. Plus its hard to get motivated about posting my build on there when there are dozens of guys building $200000 dollar cars all over the place lol

Quick update but alot of pictures. Picked up all my parts from the ceramic coating guy today. He did the headers, crossover pipe, down pipe, test pipe, and the turbo housing. I still have a heat shield or two to pick up but this is the majority of it

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

I've been on both those sites but honestly they are better for more mainstream cars I feel. Plus its hard to get motivated about posting my build on there when there are dozens of guys building $200000 dollar cars all over the place lol

Agreed....:D

Another small update, they are still welding on the frame. We decided to go a bit further and weld up all factory welds. They are so bad that I'm not really convinced they are to structurally sound and compared to the new ones they really look bad. So here are a few updated pictures, there are still holes to fill etc.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

lookin good. You decide on the frame color yet?

If you look a few posts up I posted pictures of the way I'm going. The color is called silver vein.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I should have a few pictures of the bottom tonight. Also we are welding the frame motor mounts solid, filling the bolt holes and filling the back portion that is open. It will look like a solid formed piece of the frame in a couple hours lol.

If you look a few posts up I posted pictures of the way I'm going. The color is called silver vein.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I should have a few pictures of the bottom tonight. Also we are welding the frame motor mounts solid, filling the bolt holes and filling the back portion that is open. It will look like a solid formed piece of the frame in a couple hours lol.

I saw you posted it but didn't know if you had finally decided to go with that.

ahh sorry, then yes silvervein is set in stone. I actually have the front sway bar from helwig that is silver vien and it looks great. Not sure if I will change it to black to match the rest of the suspension though... hmm

Another small update, they are still welding on the frame. We decided to go a bit further and weld up all factory welds. They are so bad that I'm not really convinced they are to structurally sound and compared to the new ones they really look bad. So here are a few updated pictures, there are still holes to fill etc.

Looks like what I did on mine. Did the guys find any blown through sections like I did? The longest one was 6" and it suprised me to say the least.

hello; It seems like you know what you want. I might be jumping the gun but what exhaust, IC are you going with? Also that down pipe is made by who?
One more thing your ride is going to be something but is a manual trans. in your future?
If you already posted the answers to these questions. Never mind.
IBBY

@charlief1 - no blow through but quite a bit of sloppy or completely missed welds, I think the guys welding these frames were drunk honestly

@jlat - The exhaust is a cottons dual 2 1/2" stainless exhaust, the down pipe is rjc racing and the IC is a pte stock location intercooler. No manual, actually converting to a six speed automatic with paddle shifters for this car

So I have some pictures of the bottom, they were just starting on it when I swung by to check on the progress. The frame side of the motor mounts is fully perimeter welded and the holes are filled for the old bolts.

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

forgive my ignorance, but to this novice it doesn't seem like filling the holes in the frame for the extra structural integrity are worth the time/labor involved.. am i completely off the reservation? does it actually stiffen things up a buttload???