1987 Turbo Regal on CL

Well I've got a little story to tell.

I go out this morning (still on vacation) I start the cleanup bu washing the car and vacuuming it out. I wanted to go and try out the posi so I take it for a spin. I had not yet really put my foot in it and was pleasantly surprised that it made the full 15+ pounds of boost, ran good, laid two marks, and even barked 2nd gear.

By this time I'm feeling pretty good about the car so I extended my drive and went to gas it up. I put in $30 worth of super and then it happened...the car wouldn't start!

I sat there for 10 minutes trying to start it with no luck. When you first hit the key it acts like its going to fire and then nothing.

After calling my mommy to come and get me I brought my truck back to try and jump start it (the battery is weak) no luck there so I went home to fetch my car trailer.

Not a lot of details here, suffice to say that I single handedly loaded the car with a come-a-long in 100+ degree heat!!! Those of you that know me also know I'm not in the best shape (to put it lightly)

I consider it a near death experience...I was waaaay overheated by the time I was done.

Anyway the car is home and I'm cooled off. Not sure what the heck is wrong with it...I'll look into it next week.

SouthernCal GN said:
Josh, what is the damage report?
Still not sure. to hot out to deal with. I did a compression check on #1 and it had about 5psi. I just have to tear off the front cover now and see if it is the timing chain as suspected!

Well I ruled out fuel pressure so far. I hotwired the pump and checked the pressure at the rail, its good. Car still won't start.

If it sits for a while you can hit the key and it tries to start, if you run the starter after that it just cranks with no fire.

I'll dig into it next week. We're off to SIR for the National event in the morning.

You working on one of the cars? or going as a spectator?
I will be up there Sunday.

Just spectating this year. I'll be hanging around the Clint Thompson (TAFC) and Rod Fuller (TF) pits. I've got friends on both teams.

Damn I love this site!

I read posts until the wee hours last night. This afternoon I checked spark (it had spark) and then I tried one of the things I read about on someones post (I honestly don't remember which one it was, I must have read 50 or so) I pulled out the chip and put it back in. After that...Bang she started right up and ran great.

I also replaced a burnt fuse in the 'ST BLT/ACC' slot. The tach works now and the headlight chime works properly too.

I took it out and it seemed to run even better (burnt the tires into 2nd gear instead of just chirping)

Everything turned around pretty easily tonight, so I'm rewarding the car with a Mobile 1 oil change :)

I feel pretty strongly that the better you take care of your care, the better it will take care of you. Learning the in's and out's to know what to look for when it doesn't run right and to fix it yourself goes so much further than paying $$$ to a mechanic to stumble through trying to figure out himself what he's doing. (Exception - if you take it to a mechanic that owns at least one TR himself)

congradulations!

Thanks for your comments. I know my way around a TR but I'm much better at bolting on shiny new go-fast parts than I am a troubleshooter :cool:

Well last night I got the engine compartment cleaned up. I hit it with Simple Green and a pressure washer. It looks much better.

Tonight I pulled the intercooler. I can say without question that it has never been off of the car before! When I took it off I held it up to a light and you could not see through it at all! There was a measured 1/4+ inch of gunk built up on the front side of it. It took me a solid hour of running between the garden hose and the solvent tank to get the outside clean. I blocked off the coolant lines to the throttle body and cleaned it. The IAC looked much better after a cleaning also. I fired it up and it seems to idle better.

It sure is fun to have a TR in the family again...I almost went a whole year without one this time :frown:

damit dude ......wish you would have told me you were going to sir .....gene and i bummed around the place friday.......we could have hooked up.

idaho gn said:
damit dude ......wish you would have told me you were going to sir .....gene and i bummed around the place friday.......we could have hooked up.

I didn't make it up there until Saturday. :cool:

Want to buy some Convo Pro,s for you new car LOL :)
I welded the screw holes and polished them :eek: :eek:
That was alot of work :cool:

Thanks anyway on the wheels Gene. I'm going for the stock-appearing look on the Turbo T...its cheaper that way! :cool:

Another boosted brick??? "Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a spooalholic..."

:wink: Well Dave...glad to see you've got another Turbo Regal. Sounds like quite the q-ship! How's the BB Buick?
Adios,
Scott Compton
87 GN
84 T-type
70 455 Stage I

Blackcar said:
:wink: Well Dave...glad to see you've got another Turbo Regal. Sounds like quite the q-ship! How's the BB Buick?
Adios,
Scott Compton
87 GN
84 T-type
70 455 Stage I

Hey Scott, hows my old GN?

The BB Buick is good, it seems to go a little quicker each time I take it out. Have you raced your Stage I?

The new turbo car was a good buy, I hope to get it out to the track sometime in the fall.