2-3 flare when hot

BuickMike

Money pit
Hi all,

My trans was rebuilt back in '04 by Len Freeman and only has about 10k miles on the rebuild. I'd say it only has about a dozen passes on it too. It does have a Vigilante 5 disc LU converter on it. Still shifts nice and firm in all gears except if I get on it after driving for at least 45 min or so. Then I notice a slight 2-3 flare going on. It is still connected through the factory trans cooler AND also has an external cooler. I don't know what the temp is.

I'm going to change the fluid since it has been a good while since I rarely drive the car, but after that, what are the next steps?

Is there such thing as a trans temp gauge that is not permanent?

Thanks!

Reality.....If it flared its done! Pull it and get it built. Im betting the directs are done. While its out get a billet shafted direct drum and dual fed direct clutches.

Yep---if it's flaring its done. Pull it and try to save the direct drum,they are getting hard to find.

Oops! I forgot to mention that I'm only talking about WOT runs at 23psi of boost on methanol. Trans shifts nice and firm if I back things off just a little. This is not during regular driving at all. Not sure if any of you interpreted in my first post that this was happening during normal acceleration. If you all still think the direct clutches are about gone, I'll let it sit for now and probably pull the trans this summer and make a project out of it.

ec6b579d0959562f56bf030a8f0c573a.jpg
7eae93343c650905904747ce2b285348.jpg
986a17f63f97e40df53bae5f8b5c9930.jpg

Every high performance trans should have this. Bison Pack for 200-4R. 6061 apply ring, stage one or blue plate clutches, .100" steel in all locations, and 4140 pressure plate that won't deflect. This won't fix a hydraulic leak or a poor hydraulic calibration but it is very effective when all else is right and will easily take 300+psi line pressure without coning the pressure plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info Bison. I'll definitely hit you up when ready. If my trans is indeed shot, the car will definitely sit for quite awhile. I'm knee deep in another project that is taking priority. I still can't help but think I may have more of a hydraulic issue going on. I've had 3rd gear go out in the past on this trans and a couple TH350's. When those went out, it went out in a hurry and the flare happened at all times.

If you pull it now, at the first hint of a 2-3 flare, it's going to take a lot less effort to freshen it. I realize if you aren't going through it yourself that it's probably a flat rate fee to freshen it but the builder will thank you.

Stock pressure plates deflect? Lol the first time I tried to flat sand a used pressure plate was a real eye opener. This one came out of a granny tranny, can't imagine a built trans with some abuse.

IMG_4721.JPG

Stock pressure plates deflect? Lol the first time I tried to flat sand a used pressure plate was a real eye opener. This one came out of a granny tranny, can't imagine a built trans with some abuse.

View attachment 300907

Yup. It's a real problem area. That stuff was designed for the stock calibration. Not what it needs for a 10sec longevity build let alone quicker

Would you sell just the pressure plates?

Not one at a time at this time. They are expensive as hell and I get whacked twice for shipping for the material. If you want 5 or more I can

Think we can get together and do a group buy on some apply plates? I'd be in for a couple if there are some others let me know and we can see about it.

Think we can get together and do a group buy on some all plates? I'd be in for a couple if there are some others let me know and we can see about it.

That's fine but they aren't cheap. $125ea. Pre ground 4140.

So my definition of flare may be a little off here. The RPM does not go up between shifts. It just shifts slow from 2-3. Before it was rebuilt it started revving up before hitting 3rd and I considered that 3rd just being shot. Interesting thing though, yesterday I went cruising to a cars and coffee. I decided to go out for one last trip since if the trans is going, I'll be parking this car for a loooong time. I was on the road for an hour and after getting off the freeway I was on an open road. I got the tires nice and hot and decided to try going WOT after that. With the tires hot it went 2-3 just fine. My rears are almost gone and I'm wondering if my flare is actually just wheel spin.

Either way I think my next step is to pull the pan and check the fluid. If it is really clean, then it may be a good time to do the 3-2 control valve mod and maybe consider the separator plate since I really have no idea what Len did improvement wise. It was not a stock refresh and he stated I would be safe until 700 HP or so. I'll see if I still have the invoice.