20 questions with a new guy

Tori

Hey gang, alright...... as you know i've got a new to me GN. 1987.

I have a million questions and no one to really bounce the little things in my head off of.
I'd like to ask these here, not sure each one deserves it's own thread, feel free to pick and choose what you can/want to comment on.

Thanks !

1. Why air shocks ? I see them installed on car here on the site but wonder about the reasoning. I get it if your putting big meats on the rear and need the clearance. But why on a stock car ? Do the rear springs sag over 27 years ? I've never been impressed with the ride from an air shock, always seem bouncy, and these do on my car too. Thoughts ?

2. Is it just not possible to roll the windows up at speed ? I know i have issues to deal with regarding my windows as sometimes my driver one goes up on the inside of the rubber seal at the back, other times not.

3. How does the Power Master brake system work ? I've asked this in the "brake section" but not received an answer. My brakes are shit, (hard pedal) and i need to understand how this system is supposed to work so i can proceed with diagnosing it, and deciding if i want to keep it or switch to vac. booster.

4. Cruise Control: Mine doesn't work. Green light comes on, (only once set or resume is pressed - not when switch is turned on) but does not hold speed, or accel. What's the best way to go about diagnosing this ?

5. I need new wheels. All mine are bent. Should i just keep searching the classified section here on the site ? Suggestions ? I like the stockers, but wouldn't mind a set of the GNX look-a-likes.

6. When running down the HWY, should my Autometer boost gauge be showing boost ? Seems like it should be showing some. My Cummins shows 6# or so at HWY speeds.... ???

7. Anyone tried LED bulbs for the instrumentation lights. Most of my cluster warning lamps are out, along with the bulb in the headlight switch. Thought while i was at it, i'd replace them all, and maybe upgrade. Thoughts ?

8. Why are there two different horn buttons ? I have the Buick emblem, but i see the Turbo emblem too. What gives ?

9. Suggestions for speakers ? All mine are shit, and the rears have literally fallen apart on our trip from FL to CA. There was a pile of the foam surround laying in the trunk when we got home. WTF ! LOL

.... i know there will be more questions, and thank you for any input you can share.

#1. Air shocks and air bags are different. People use air bags to launch at the strip so the back doesn't sag, better weight transfer. They are
air bags that go inside your coil spring, air shocks are for hillbilly novas.

#3. Power master diag is simple once you know how the system works. Gnttype.org is a great place to learn about it.

#4. Green cruise light should only come on after it's set. you know the fuses are good, the wirings good, the switch is good, and the modules good. The only things left are the actual cable to the throttle body or vacuum to the underhood actuator.

#6. At highway speeds on light cruise it should not be in boost, the reason your cummins does is it doesn't produce a vacuum because it's a diesel. So anytime your on the throttle it will boost in a diesel.

#8. Gn got the tri-shield mostly, they did run out at the end of 87 production
So they started using left over T horn buttons to finish up the run. All 87 T's just got a red T, 1984-86 got T Type on there's.

That's all the ones I can really help with now.

That's great. I thank you. I have air shocks on mine currently, and plan to swap them out for some KYB Gas-Adjust's. No hillbilly Nova look for this kid. ;)

Just thought of another question:

10. The steering in my car feels heavy. Stiff. Is this a byproduct of the GN ? Typically GM vehicles feel very light on the wheel. Steering at all speeds is stiffer than i expected.

Don't get KYBs. They are hard as a rock. Cheap yes but bad ride IMO. Monroe Sensatrac rides well. Many will say Bilstein but I don't autocross or take exits at high speed.

Windows go out of adjustment. And when they do you'll never get them resealed at speed if you lower them. Happened to me. New seals and an adjustment help but it takes finagleing to get them just right. I still have a tiny air leak but the radio helps!

I like JBL GTO series speakers. I have Polk Audio in my car now and I had the JBLs in my Saab. The Saab sounded way better. The 2-way speakers sound great and you can buy them for good prices online at some of the stores in Crooklyn, NY. Get the ones that end in 8.

Grille springs are on the lower corners of the grille and they hook into the bumper reinforcement. Lay on the ground and you will see where they hook in.

1. Why air shocks ? I see them installed on car here on the site but wonder about the reasoning. I get it if your putting big meats on the rear and need the clearance. But why on a stock car ? Do the rear springs sag over 27 years ? I've never been impressed with the ride from an air shock, always seem bouncy, and these do on my car too. Thoughts ?

Air shocks? We don't have air shocks. Our cars use the same shocks the rest of the cars on the road use. Standard issue. The shocks we have on our cars are pretty good actually. I have bilsteins and they're nice. Have wore out a set of sensatracs on my 98 regal within a year. Do rear springs sag? Sometimes. Sometimes they actually last 30 years. I've done a decent amount of reading on springs & found out that unless you rally your car, they should actually last a super long time. Your mileage may vary. When replacing springs, go with the FACTORY rate. If not, your ride will suck, and your rear wheels won't plant like they should, and unless you mount a GIGANTIC slick, you'll have zero traction. Like I do.

2. Is it just not possible to roll the windows up at speed ? I know i have issues to deal with regarding my windows as sometimes my driver one goes up on the inside of the rubber seal at the back, other times not.

Is is possible, but not with the factory set up that's now 27 years old. Unless you replace all your innards, you have to roll it up at a red light. My 83 Regal was the same way. Gotta do the window rattle elimination kit, and replace the window motors. Get new weather stripping as well. All of it.

3. How does the Power Master brake system work ? I've asked this in the "brake section" but not received an answer. My brakes are shit, (hard pedal) and i need to understand how this system is supposed to work so i can proceed with diagnosing it, and deciding if i want to keep it or switch to vac. booster.

How does the powermaster work? Voodoo. Plain and simple. Historians maintain that the original blueprints have been lost, and that there are only a handful of gurus in Nepal that know the system. Though they live on Mt. Everest. It's ok though. When you rear end a car in traffic, you'll know it failed. Though, once you get it running right, you won't want vacuum brakes. Word to the wise-don't ask a local mechanic. He'll have NO clue, and top off your brake fluid. Do not do this. There's a great thread on the system on here, and I think it's called powermaster diagnosis. Check it out.

4. Cruise Control: Mine doesn't work. Green light comes on, (only once set or resume is pressed - not when switch is turned on) but does not hold speed, or accel. What's the best way to go about diagnosing this ?

What the above guy said. If the green light comes on, you know the circuit is good. It's the hard parts maybe. Sorry I don't know. You could try the cruise control section on vortex buicks maybe. Check for vac leaks too. That fixed my system. Also replace the speedo cable. That helps too.

5. I need new wheels. All mine are bent. Should i just keep searching the classified section here on the site ? Suggestions ? I like the stockers, but wouldn't mind a set of the GNX look-a-likes.

That's on you. Finding replacement stockers is easy, and it's keeping the car original, which I encourage. Though the GNX rims are nice, and they're a lot lighter too.

6. When running down the HWY, should my Autometer boost gauge be showing boost ? Seems like it should be showing some. My Cummins shows 6# or so at HWY speeds.... ???
No. No boost. Something's jacked up. I'd check the boost gauge or map. Get a scanmaster first. And if you can, a powerlogger/lap top. This way you can see everything that's going on while driving. It's helped me BIG TIME.

7. Anyone tried LED bulbs for the instrumentation lights. Most of my cluster warning lamps are out, along with the bulb in the headlight switch. Thought while i was at it, i'd replace them all, and maybe upgrade. Thoughts ?

I replaced all my bulbs with LEDs in my 98 Regal. Every one burned out within 6 months. Your car wasn't designed with LED's in mind. Save yourself the trouble and don't do it. I know I know your brother has had led's in his car for 35 years event free. That's great. You're not your brother. If your shit in the dash goes out, now you gotta pull allllllll that shit back out again. Screw that. Use the 40 year old proven stuff. Less head aches.

8. Why are there two different horn buttons ? I have the Buick emblem, but i see the Turbo emblem too. What gives ?
The last poster has it spot on. They ran out of buttons.

9. Suggestions for speakers ? All mine are shit, and the rears have literally fallen apart on our trip from FL to CA. There was a pile of the foam surround laying in the trunk when we got home. WTF ! LOL

Infinitys have worked well for me. Though, unless your local installer is super anal like I am about the details, and not breaking stuff, get the factory sizes, so that the installer doesn't have to do algebra to make them fit, GUARANTEEING that he'll either break something, or forget something during the install. Like what happens to me every, single, time. (which is why I have to do everything myself.

Anything else, just ask. I never tire of answering questions.

At the risk of upsetting the purists on the site, give serious thought to ditching the powerdisaster. they are very expensive to replace/repair and have a very well known and documented bad habit of total and sudden failure without any warnings. Vacuum conversion is extremely inexpensive ( under 200) and its a relatively simple job that provides a much more reliable braking system that works every bit as good as the power disaster You don't have trust me , just search powermaster on this site and you will see for yourself . After 3 extremely scary on the road failures and 3 failed replacement units, I gave up on them. And yes purists I changed the brake fluid regularly and they still only lasted on average 4-5 years. Maybe the below freezing winter storage in the Northeast is just too much for them.

Yep. They can give up the ghost suddenly, and without warning lol. But can you build boost on the line with a vac system?

Horn buttons..... If you are seeing the Power 6 logo it is a custom aftermarket button. http://buickgn.com/HornButtons.htm

Powermonster, chuck it and don't look back. Highway Stars is coming out with new units but I still will never trust a Powermaster ever! I put all new GM vacuum brake parts on my GN when it had 10,000 miles on it and can hold 12 lbs of boost if needed. Never had any problems with the vacuum setup.

Thanks guys for the responses. Smackdown, i guess you misunderstood my question about airs hocks. I wasn't asking why the GN came with air shocks, i was asking why i see them installed on these cars ? I fricking hate them, but was up to learn something if something was to be learned. I work at a large independent auto repair shop, and have lots of experience with shocks. The Sensatrac's don't last. And the only thing we've found that does are the KYB. Bilstien are good too, but they are not as readily available to me, and not as well known. I'm pretty familiar with the KYB line. I'm not into them because they are cheap either. In fact, they are quite the opposite. At anyrate, i'm after a comfortable ride, not performance. I won't be flogging this tank around a course or the interstate. I have other toys for that. ;) BTW, i just let all the air out of the air shocks, and the car appears to sit level. So, gas shocks it'll be !

I saw that Highway Stars is coming out with a new PM setup. I'm very interested, but impatient. I am not driving my car for fear i'll hit someone. My brakes really are THAT bad. So, i may just go with the hydroboost system. It's $400 but i feel it'll be the most reliable. I dunno, that jury is still out. :geek:

My car has all new window rubbers, so i guess i'll tear into the door and see about making some adjustments. Can you tell me more about the "window rattle elimination kit"

1. shox. com is located in El Cajon, CA- Bilsteins all the way.
2.Windows are slow. Old and small motor for big window. There is a new assembly available. not cheap
3. Powermaster is a gamble. Two have gone out on my in rush hour traffic. Vacuum is your friend
4. Cruise doesn't work for me either. Neither been a big deal
5. GTA rims (fronts only-aluminum) save about 10lbs per rim. gn steel rims are very heavy!
9. Speakers- I have Bostons up front and Alpines out back. Sounds good with stock deck. (If you're interested, I can get you part numbers)

1. shox. com is located in El Cajon, CA- Bilsteins all the way.
2.Windows are slow. Old and small motor for big window. There is a new assembly available. not cheap
3. Powermaster is a gamble. Two have gone out on my in rush hour traffic. Vacuum is your friend
4. Cruise doesn't work for me either. Neither been a big deal
5. GTA rims (fronts only-aluminum) save about 10lbs per rim. gn steel rims are very heavy!
9. Speakers- I have Bostons up front and Alpines out back. Sounds good with stock deck. (If you're interested, I can get you part numbers)

Thanks Turbo39151, which Bilstien's are you running ? And why ? I assume they have a couple different styles/valving. Are you after a more comfortable ride, or sport ride ?
I'd love to make the switch to the aluminum GTA wheels, as i know they are way lighter. When i switched from the factory chrome steel wheel on my Cummins to the factory alum. mag, they were 18lb. lighter each! (y)
Any reason to choose the vacuum set up over hydroboost ?

I'll never buy a kyb again after trying to get one that spit a seal and dropped the fluid all over the underside of the car. They acted like a stole them and was trying to get one over on them. Bilstein for me.
I wouldnt put another powermaster on my car if someone gave me one. I like my hydroboost. It flat works. I have just ove $200 in my setup.
I can't understand why a vendor hasn't stepped up with 17 or 18 in GnX style wheels. Id love a set or some 17" turbines.
Being from florida I'm sure that car has corrosion on much of it. Contacts and such will have to be cleaned and things will work again.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Bilsteins because of decent ride. No autocross or anything. Cheap and reasonable.
Light rims = more power
Vacuum cheaper and easier. Also, no strain on power steering pump.

1. I highly recommend Bilstiens.

2. Kirbans has a book and DVD on how to line up power windows on these cars. Also, there are other tricks like replacing or removing the thermal resistor / breaker in the window motors since it is typically shot by now:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/a-free-trick-to-help-speed-up-your-power-windows.256820/

A1 Electric makes awesome sprung regulator / motor assemblies. Check this out:
I have these and they work very nice.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=GM19-K

3. As others have said PowerMasters are crap. I personally went the Hydroboost conversion route and believe that works better than vacuum.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/powermaster-to-hydroboost-conversion.307690/

4. Sounds like you are good electrically. Check throttle linkage back to the cruise unit and check vacuum lines.

5. You can do 4 GTA fronts, but they are hard to come by and tires for 16" wheels are even harder to find. You can get aluminum stock appearing GN style rims too.

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemMatrix.asp GroupCode 117GNALUMW eq MatrixType 1

6. Do you see boost when you get on it? You won't see boost at cruise unless you are going up a decent hill. Get a boost / vac gauge instead and that will give you a better picture of what is going on.

7. Try it out and let us know how it works. I'll bet it works out great.
8. Buick emblem is the correct one.

9. Do you have concert Sound II system? The doors take 5.25", the dash takes 3.5", and the rear takes 4X10" but I would get the 6X9 adapters and go that route. Sound is subjective. Go listen to speakers and pick what you like.

Hope this helps. Read my build thread. I have lots of cool ideas in there as well.

Excellent info there Mike, thanks. Love the idea of the alum. stock wheels. Super cool. I'll also be using your hydroboost guide when i do mine. I think i'm going to go that route.

Few more tips for the originator of this tread. As its been pointed out best all around shocks for the road are Bilstiens they created the gas shock. Vacuum brake conversion is the most popular conversion providing your car is fairly stock if you plan to ditch your powermaster brake system. we offer the entire kit for $349.95. It includes the brake pedal which you will need unless your skillfull enough to modify your pm brake pedal.

We sell an excellent LED lite kit to replace the 7 regular bulbs in your instrument cluster providing you have the analog dash. These are the main lites not the warning lites that come on when you turn your ignition on. We are also the company that had the window rattle kits made and sell the detailed book on how to make the adjustments.

Window problems are very well know on these cars.

On brakes also flush the fluid.

denniskirban@yahoo.com