200-4R GN tranny, how do i firm up 2-3 shift? super servo?

GS70350

Round Headlights.Like em?
Hey guys, i have another question. seems transmissions give endless problems. the tranny in my Ttype, is a 87 GN transmission, and it barks the tires on the 1-2 shift really well. very firm. 3-4 is nice and firm too. i have the TV cable line pulled out 2 clicks or so. only problem, is the 2-3 shift is NOT firm. its more of a quick and smooth shift. doesnt lag and slip like crazy, but it just glides into gear. i want some tire barking shifts on the 2-3 as well. i dont know if my tranny has a shift kit in it or not causing it to bark the tires, but i do have a posi, and it will break the tires looose going into 2nd, and they wont catch again with street tires. Will a super servo firm up the 2-3 shift at all? i would like to purchase something that i can install without removing the valvebody and stuff. a shift kit would be ok, but my experience with a B&M shift kit for my TH350 in the GS, ended up with about 3 transmission replacements to follow and still giving trouble. If i have a shif tkit in the Ttype already, i dont want to put a different one in and risk screwing something up.

thanks for the help

super servo

A super servo only applies the band which is 2nd gear. 2-3 is when band gets pushed off the drum, and direct clutches apply.
I think 2-3 improvment is a product of a tighter clearance in the direct clutch pack, a shift kit, and higher line pressure. Oh yeah, and a healthy trans to start with.:D

OK, sounds about right. that would mean the 2-3 shift wont change, so, can i buy something to increase the line pressure alot without pulling the transmisson apart? or can i tighten the direct clutches a bit easily. thanks

Jacob-
Mark is providing good advice with the link he put in his post for Performance Trans (Bruce T.) I was having 2-3 shifting issues and i installed the new Pressure Regulator kit from Bruce and bingo, shifts great at WOT. When i installed the kit i found my old PR valves sticking in the bore.
Good luck.
Mitch

Sounds good. I just want to know one thing, can i install the new pressure regulator thing without removing the tranny and pan and all that? if not, what kind of work is required to install it. thanks

If you can change the fluid and filter you can install the PR system, it involves removing the pan and one c-clip the holds the system in the pump right next to where the filter mounts. Remove clip, system slides out, install new pr valve, spring, inter. valve and sleeve and boost valve and sleeve and new clip, new filter, pan gasket, pan and fill it, your done and then hold on! :D

OK, sounds simple enough. one final question, what transmission fluid should i use when i change it, ive always used dexron 2 or whatever. ive heard type F gives firmer shifts, but then again ive heard that it causes more wear on the friction bands. what about B&M trick shift? probably just type F in a fancy bottle. i tried the lucas stop slip, and it helped the transmission shifts on a stock TH350 in a olds cutlass.

thanks