224 Stage I Single Turbo Buick V6 does the impossible. 8.76 @ 158.7

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
The car that has been touted by many to be completely wrong, and was expected to fall flat on its face has clicked off another best. This time the 1/4 mile.
Again, she has surpassed my wildest expectations, and I'm sure, the dismal predictions of many others.

8.76 @ 158.7 with plenty still waiting in the wings. :eek:

De-stroked 224 cid Buick V6
Poor flowing M&A heads with 1.835/1.5" valves.
3200 rpm stall torque converter.
Long, tuned tube exhaust system.
S510 91mm Borg Warner Airwerks Monster single turbo.
Alcohol fuel with low compression.
400+ hp shot of nitrous. Spooling the turbo to unbelievable levels in 1.8 seconds, and shutting off before leaving the line.
Large duration and overlap camshaft.
Better than 1:1 exhaust backpressure to intake boost pressure ratio.
Outdated engine management system.

Are you kidding? This combination actually works? Show me the time slip! :mad:

Yes, gentlemen, it works. And, it works very well. :cool:

400 shot! :eek: holy chit Don....lol. IDK Don, that seems like a lot of N20 to go that fast when a 109 and a 70mm can do the same almost without N20. thats still rippen tho. congrats.

400 shot! :eek: holy chit Don....lol. IDK Don, that seems like a lot of N20 to go that fast when a 109 and a 70mm can do the same almost without N20. thats still rippen tho. congrats.
You have to resort to something unique to spool a B/W S510. And, the nitrous does shut down before leaving the line. I'd like to see a small cubed 109 spool a S510 without nitrous. That would be cute to watch.
How long does a 109 last at 8.70s? A weekend? A pass? And, how many cubes? Stroked? What sort of heads? The latest max ported, best flowing heads available? Small valves? I doubt it.

And,... more in the wings. :cool:

Don,

Congrats on a new best.
When you freshen the motor you should throw some compression
in it and open up the heads. You then could remove some of
your disclaimers on the combination. At your car's weight
that Turbo should have close to 180mph potential.
I would love to see you sneek up on a 7 second time slip.

Can you tell us what is in store for the winter break?

The car that has been touted by many to be completely wrong, and was expected to fall flat on its face has clicked off another best. This time the 1/4 mile.
Again, she has surpassed my wildest expectations, and I'm sure, the dismal predictions of many others.

Congrats on suprising yourself, but at at 1005 hp with that turbo its still a FAIL where i come from. Now that you have run a 1/4 mile pass the real numbers shine thru. The combo is still WRONG !!! the car is not accelerating to the 330 mark what was the 1/8 et and mph. I stayed out of all your other posts about your 8.76 pass but now your looking to stir up the crap with us AGAIN!!!!!!! so I WILL step in again. When a 3550# buick with a 70 turbo can run 8.87 MY expectaion would be that a 3200# buick with a 91 turbo and 400hp worth of nitrous could do better than 1 thats right 1 tenth faster. again this may surpass your wildest expectations so bravo for you !!! but dont try and rub our noses in it because our feelings are not the same as yours :rolleyes:

Congrats on suprising yourself, but at at 1005 hp with that turbo its still a FAIL where i come from. Now that you have run a 1/4 mile pass the real numbers shine thru. The combo is still WRONG !!! the car is not accelerating to the 330 mark what was the 1/8 et and mph. I stayed out of all your other posts about your 8.76 pass but now your looking to stir up the crap with us AGAIN!!!!!!! so I WILL step in again. When a 3550# buick with a 70 turbo can run 8.87 MY expectaion would be that a 3200# buick with a 91 turbo and 400hp worth of nitrous could do better than 1 thats right 1 tenth faster. again this may surpass your wildest expectations so bravo for you !!! but dont try and rub our noses in it because our feelings are not the same as yours :rolleyes:
Tony. I wish you could learn to read my posts more thoroughly.

8.76 @ 158.7 with plenty still waiting in the wings.

I read it.

Nitrous is only for spooling. Shuts off before the car leaves.

:cool:

Don,

Congrats on a new best.
When you freshen the motor you should throw some compression
in it and open up the heads. You then could remove some of
your disclaimers on the combination. At your car's weight
that Turbo should have close to 180mph potential.
I would love to see you sneek up on a 7 second time slip.

Can you tell us what is in store for the winter break?
Mainly just a freshen up.
I will be changing the fuel system around. She wants more fuel and boost. Don't know what kind of performance I'm going to end up with after that.
I'm presently up to 31 psi boost with the static CR setup to allow me to push to 40-45 psi boost after the fuel system is corrected. Yikes. I definitely won't be able to use that boost in the 1/8. Not the local 1/8 mile track, anyway. I'm sure I can ramp in a lot of that on a good 1/4 mile track.
I will also be changing the rear axle ratio from 3.73 to 3.42. The 3.73 gearset did much to limit my mph during the last outing. I was turning past redline before the finish line. Not to mention the dangerous leaning that was occurring from before the 1,000' mark.
Just today at the local track, I made more new discoveries about the tuneup. I've probably richened the fueling 10% on the top end since Pheonix and as a result had to pull back the boost control to maintain my present boost limit on the engine. After I get the new fuel system on this thing, she's going to get what she wants. More boost and more fuel. We'll see what new surprises she has in store for me then.

Tony. I wish you could learn to read my posts more thoroughly.

8.76 @ 158.7 with plenty still waiting in the wings.

I wish you could be humble and wait till you really run a big number before you try and say we were wrong. So what your saying is there is plenty left, hmmm..... I find that odd considering that less than 2 months ago you said those heads were done and the naysayers said no there not, just turn it up ;)

P.S if your still running 29.5 tires your converter is junk over 21% slip but im sure you already knew this....

I wish you could be humble and wait till you really run a big number before you try and say we were wrong. So what your saying is there is plenty left, hmmm..... I find that odd considering that less than 2 months ago you said those heads were done and the naysayers said no there not, just turn it up ;)

P.S if your still running 29.5 tires your converter is junk over 21% slip but im sure you already knew this....
17 to 18 if you take tire growth into consideration, but yes, it's excessive. There's plenty to be had there, too.
Exactly when did I say the heads were done? I knew the fueling was maxed out, but I don't recall ever saying the heads were maxed out. I may have asked, when the heck are these heads going to limit me? Since I do know eventually they will.
Big number is creaping up, Tony, with 224 cid and small valve heads. :biggrin: Sorry. Too awe strucken and excited to be humble at the moment.
For some reason, Tony, my progress irritates the heck out of you, doesn't it? You mentioned 'us'. So there are others that are equally irritated with my progress? Sounds like a fun group.

Show us whats in the wings. I didnt doubt 8 sec potential. Crank that f'er up and show us how its done.

less than 2 months ago you said those heads were done and the naysayers said no there not, just turn it up ;)

Hmmm who could have said those things?

Exactly when did I say the heads were done? I knew the fueling was maxed out, but I don't recall ever saying the heads were maxed out. I may have asked, when the heck are these heads going to limit me? Since I do know eventually they will.
Big number is creaping up, Tony, with 224 cid and small valve heads. :biggrin: Sorry. Too awe strucken and excited to be humble at the moment.

I have to tell you, I really don't expect a whole bunch more out of this motor. I mean, how much can you squeeze out of a head that only flowed 210 on the intake? The intake valve is 1.835" and the exhaust is 1.50". I'm surprised I'm getting what I am out of it.
I'll keep inching it up until she won't give me anymore. I've figured she'll be maxed out at 1,230 'BRAKE' hp.

Im glad that now you feel that there is "plenty still waiting in the wings".
point being Don, stop analizing it just turn up the boost it will go faster we "us" been telling you that. Your the one that gets stuck on the flow numbers of your heads

Don, would you please stop bickering with people that don't agree with what you are doing? It's pointless! It just creates long useless threads. Congrats on the PB. Glad to see it working for you!

I have to tell you, I really don't expect a whole bunch more out of this motor. I mean, how much can you squeeze out of a head that only flowed 210 on the intake? The intake valve is 1.835" and the exhaust is 1.50". I'm surprised I'm getting what I am out of it.
I'll keep inching it up until she won't give me anymore. I've figured she'll be maxed out at 1,230 'BRAKE' hp.
Wow. You actually took the time to find one. I'm impressed. I'm sure it's only one of many guesses I've made of the limit of my creation over the years. The car has always proved me wrong. So what do you think, Tony. Was I right on this one, or was I wrong? Is there a lot more than 1,230 Bhp in this engine? What's your guess? Is it different than the guess you had last year?

Don, would you please stop bickering with people that don't agree with what you are doing? It's pointless! It just creates long useless threads. Congrats on the PB. Glad to see it working for you!
You're right. Thanks.

X2 Keep pushing forward Mad Scientist! You continue to progress forward with you thinking outside of the box mentality. Most people only wish they had your patience in finding new ways to go fast... That Sir, is what makes your car stand out from all the rest. How many passes do you now have on that engine? A LOT,I know.... All because of attention to detail.... Stay the course Donnie.