3 Mufflers for a quiet system ?

TEST MY 6

I read a few posts mentioning people running 3 mufflers to quiet their cars down and wanted to verify if this actually works and how quiet it got after the 3rd muffler was installed and what brand and location was it installed in ? I am currently running dual 2.5 inch summit mufflers and they did eliminate some noise from the previous dynomax's thet were on there but its still louder than id like it to be. Any info would be great , Thanks

you need to talk to dennis hogan.......his slow car ;) has a setup like that i think ......maybe geno could help you

I thought both his cars ran the 3 muffler system???? The 3rd one is a transverse muffler in the stock location. I'm not sure which mufflers Dennis uses, but you can hardly tell his slow car is running standing at the fence next to the track........as it runs low 10s :eek:

Adam

Ah I just took the tailpipe off mine last week (ATR 3" single Shot 1 Pitbull Muffler) and its still not all that loud to me lol. Car rips to I am thinking of going to the Dynomax Ultra Flow as that is what was on my last car and I dont rember it being load :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info guys I've been looking into Dennis setup but havent had any luck yet, Hybrid T that is one great looking ride!!!! Nice job

TEST MY 6 said:
I read a few posts mentioning people running 3 mufflers to quiet their cars down and wanted to verify if this actually works and how quiet it got after the 3rd muffler was installed and what brand and location was it installed in ? I am currently running dual 2.5 inch summit mufflers and they did eliminate some noise from the previous dynomax's thet were on there but its still louder than id like it to be. Any info would be great , Thanks
If three is good !How about four. Just clamp it on the end of the tail pipe.

3 muffs ??? how much back press do you need ??? not that much .i run 3" atr single shot with pit bull muff car is quiet until open dump.how quiet do you guys want them? there not loud anyways .you are killing performance.just my 2 cents.what about performance ??? :cool:

I run 3 mufflers...2 Hooker Aerochambers (2.5") in the normal location for the aftermarket systems and a 3" Ultraflow where the cat would go. It's not much quieter, if at all, then with the cat in place instead. This is probably the case because the muffler in the cat location is too close to the motor. They say to make the car its quietest, the muffler(s) should be as close to the tail pipe(s) as possible. Regarless, by most comparisons, my car is pretty quiet. Most of the time, spectators say they can barely hear my car when I'm racing. As for backpressure, who knows. I run 115mph in the quarter with a TA49 so I'd think backpressure can't be too bad.

I too looked into putting a "crossflow" style muffler in the stock location in addition to the Aerochambers. However, no one seems to sell a good, low restriction crossflow muffler and both Dynomax and Mufflex said DO NOT run a dual in/out muffler (like Ultraflow 17231) with the gases running in opposite directions thru the two tubes. I was willing to pay Mufflex to custom make me a system that would use this style muffler in the stock location of my GN but they refused saying the muffler would destroy itself in no time.

I think several of the guys running 3 mufflers are running the summit/jegs style with another muffler in the place of the cat converter.

you guys are killing power. it is dyno proven min of 40 horsepower and 50 ft lbs torque lost just from capping off dump pipe ,with 3" atr single shot 1 muff .and i know the atr pit bull straight thru muff flows well .so that is alot less restictive than 3 muffs would hate to see how much power loss is .also will lower boost press .i tried super trap once could only get 8 psi boost took it off put atr back on 20 psi .that is just way to much restiction .engine is a air pump, more air can get in and out smoothly more power ...

Well I did come across some old posts and running a muffler in the cat location does not seem worth the trouble , A cross flow type seems to be the way to go in the stock location and has been done by Dennis Hogan with good results, He mentioned P/N 17276. Stickeybones Im not sure I understand the problem your mentioning , I am thinking that the muffler would be installed in the way it was designed to be 2 upper ports would be in 2 lower ports would be out Am I wrong :confused:

See attached photo for what I mean on how these mufflers are supposed to be used.

See what I mean. These mufflers really aren't crossflow mufflers and therefore are not designed to be used in that application.

Attachments

• 17276.jpg
    17276.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 3,311
I've heard the same thing about Flowmasters. Never used a Flowmaster system so I can't comment on how they perform.

Other than the stock system, I've used Borla mufflers, SS Ultraflows (2.75") and now the Hooker 2.5" system with the Aerochambers and I will say that the Hooker system is the quietest of the bunch.

it is killing power, no doubt. personally i like a car a little on the loud side, not obnoxicious but a little noise is always good.

but theres something thats just cool about a car running fast as hell and not making any noise. even if it is at the cost of a tenth or two.

Personally, I was done with loud by the time I was 16. I'd gladly give up a tenth to get quiet. I want the loudest thing in my car to be the voice of the passenger in the car next to me asking the driver "Honey, why can't we catch him?" :) :). Several years ago a couple of guys who were running 11's with the ATR 2.5" Pit Bull exhaust compared dump open and dump closed and saw no more than .05 seconds difference. Anyway, I wonder if there is room in the stock location for two of the 3"x9" oval mufflers, so you don't need a crossflow design? If so you could probably use the 20" long ones for even more quiet.

Dennis Hogan runs the 'crossflow' ultraflow like in the post above with the gasses going in opposite directions. Works fine, no problems, if someone made pipes I would buy it NOW.........

Dennis' car is extremely quiet, no drone. On the highway you can hear the tire noise.....

Bob

(I want a tri-muffler system!!!)

stickybones said:
See attached photo for what I mean on how these mufflers are supposed to be used.

See what I mean. These mufflers really aren't crossflow mufflers and therefore are not designed to be used in that application.

but it will work.

Bob