3 Mufflers for a quiet system ?

the stock exhaust comes over the axle and enters both bottom ports on the muffler --->|____|<---

Then the exhaust exits thru both top ports <---|___|--->

The "Dennis Hogan" exhaust is "top to top", "bottom to bottom"

--->|_____|--->
<---|_____|<---

So it takes a little more work to make it all fit. Plus that larger muffler is a tight fit. It should be well worth it though..... :)

Bob

Yup that's it Bob, and I think that because the 17276 is a Straight thru type muffler there will not be much HP loss at all, The Original GN muffler being a true crossflow relies on the gases to find their way thru the chambers/baffles to the lower exit ports and would cause excessive back pressure especially in a high HP application.

Dynomax SS mufflers

If the 17231 and 17276 mufflers are aluminized, does Dynomax have SS versions of the two? If so......part numbers?? Thanks.

I hope this helps your choice. I have a dual 3" system made from an exhaust shop. I had turbo mufflers on it and I didnt like the way it sounded. We cut these out and put straight pipes. It was VERY loud. I just put in 3" Dynomax Ultraflows. Man did it quite the car down that I can actually hear everything else now. Get the Ultraflows or the Magnaflows, they both have the same design. You will not be dissapointed if you get these mufflers unless you want it to be loud. If you want it to be loud, get something else.

BLACK DEATH DSR said:
Get the Ultraflows or the Magnaflows

Quiet is somewhat relative. I'd venture to say that the people on this thread want it even quieter than the ultraflows. I had ultraflows and the aerochambers I have now are even quieter. I still want something even quieter hence the desire for the third "big case" freeflowing muffler in the stock location.

well I orderd the 17276 but my plans to see the exhaust guy wil have to wait till next saturday due to the rain that hasnt stopped here for like 5 days .

I had dual ultraflows, and then switched to aerochambers. I also installed three borla venturis and a flexible test pipe, and I have installed frame braces. All in the name of reducing drone. Still too loud and "droney".

On the 17276, please take a ton of pics! I have a shop that has said they would tackle it, but all available pics would be a great help.

Bob

Anyone tried the "tailpipe slots" that were posted a few years ago?

Bob

The finish is almost chrome like and the design is 2.5" straight thru .

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 786
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 769
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 777
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 771
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 767
This would be good sticky I think

stickybones said:
Pictures of the final product with the axle hump and tail pipes and all fab'd up would be cool too. :wink:

I know there have been a lot of people wanting a set up just like this and ask for it a lot. If you had Lots of pics of the build and final set up I am sure you could get maybe one of the other sites to post it, if you do a small write up. Also giving credit were needed too. ;)
Chris

Ill do my best , The exhaust guy im going to see has done some nice stuff from what ive been told and I have seen a dual 3" setup on a late model F-body that he did, He said to me " i hate to sound cocky but I can do anything" LOL well see

just make sure

That the guy puts down some quality welds. I am sure you will be fine. I can imagine if he said that, its not going to be cheap. I am thinking custom set up like that will run you about $800-$900 or so. Do they charge by the job or by the hr? Also ask them if they weld the system on the car or off. if its off the car you will get better welds usually. Good luck :biggrin:

Chris

It's Done!!!!

Well guys I got it done today , 3 hours and 400$ Later my exhaust is QUIET , Its unbelievable the before and after Even the Exhaust guy didnt think it would get this quite, The drone is COmpletey gone all I hear now is the roller rockers , There is definatly some science involved in this and how pulses can cancel out frequencies, All I know is it worked and it is worth it at least to me it is, I will have pics up as soon as I get the car on the lift.

I am SO all over this!!!!

Post the pics soon, so I can give them to my exhaust guy.

Bob

I'm interested too. How is the fit, finish and quality? Since I'm here in NJ, I can probably use the same exhaust shop you did.

Also...did they give you any grief about using this style muffler in the GN application with the exhaust flow running in opposite directions rather than its intended use of the gases flowing in the same direction thru the muffler?

Interested in the exhaust system as well. Benny- what kind of heat blower set up is that? i see you removed your ac.