4l80e swap questions

snzuloz

not so senior member
I currently have a 700r4 in my 86 buick. 4l80e is purchased and going in the car. big stuff 3 for controller. have heard of some possible problems with clearance issues.would like to retain proper speedometer cable operation,neutral safety switch and the like. G-FORCE makes a crossmember that is supposed to fit in the car what mount to use on it? ANY HELP FROM THOSE THAT HAVE DONE THE SWAP WOULD BE APPRECIATED (PICTURES TOO).

I have an 80E in my 81 Malibu g-body. My site is down due to excessive traffic in May, but June 1 check out:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Pix there with the mods I needed to do to keep the column shifter, fit it in the trans tunnel, has a mech speedo adapter shown on the end of the trans, G-force crossmember.

I worked with John at G-Force to tell him what was needed on his T-56 crossmember and frame extension to make the 80E fit the 78+ G-body. It only required some mods to the tranny mount hole and some modest shimming to get right. They should now come ready to work.

I am using the TCI T-Com controller and SW. Great tranny and setup.

Jim

having trouble locating a company that sells a tailshaft housing capable of running a speedometer drive, anybody know of someone who could help me out?

jake ive got nice 4l80e cores if you know anyone interested.thanks for the plugs ,a local guy bought a 2500 dollar t400 based on your recommendation

Chris,
I'm busier than a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest. I'll call you sometime. I need to get a controller for the 4L80E of mine. You should start making these 4L80E output housings for the mech speedo. I paid like $325 shipped for mine. If I had time I would find someone to start making them for me.

I have a 4L80E going into the '55 Chevy, and another going into the '69 Chevelle.
100_0655_0.JPG

100_0656_0.JPG

To answer the original question,
I got the mechanical speedo housing from Auto Trans Incorporated in Edmonton, Alberta.
Right in your backyard :)
Quite a bit cheaper than the shiftworks kit, it didn't include the gears or speedo sleeve, but that is all generic Th400 stuff AFAIK.
Should help ypu out not having to pay customs for the American stuff too :)

You can send finders fee to my Paypal, (on second thought, by the time you pay a finders fee via paypal with exchange rate, user fees, etc, I would owe you money :) ) LOL, Good Luck

jakeshoe said:
To answer the original question,
I got the mechanical speedo housing from Auto Trans Incorporated in Edmonton, Alberta.
Right in your backyard :)
Quite a bit cheaper than the shiftworks kit, it didn't include the gears or speedo sleeve, but that is all generic Th400 stuff AFAIK.
Should help ypu out not having to pay customs for the American stuff too :)

You can send finders fee to my Paypal, (on second thought, by the time you pay a finders fee via paypal with exchange rate, user fees, etc, I would owe you money :) ) LOL, Good Luck

thanks for the info,not very often i can find parts such as this up here, if only they had a crossmember as well. :)