5.0 with 250 NOS

Headcutta

This race was a year in the making. The place were I work has a lot of guys that have Mustangs so I am the lone Buick, and as you know I hear this smack talk all the time. One of the guys beat me by about two cars when I first got the car, I was a newbie. After that beating that I took I found this site and got the know how I needed. About of us took a half day vacation to do this, I put 10gal of the good gas, set the boost at 25psi and waited for him to show up. When got to our 1/4mi. spot I asked him if he had put the car on gas he said he had not, you know how those Mustang guys lie, anyway we lineup and one of the other guys flag us off we both left spining I start to pull he hit the gas I put my foot to the floor I pull him by about six, I look in my rear view mirror and see a large ball of fire come out from under and the right side of the 5.0. I pull over and pull out my fire extinguisher he runs to the trunk to turn the 250 shot of gas, that he did'nt have, off while I put the car out.
The out come was I drug him by more than six cars and all the talk at work has stopped.

250 shot of gas? you mean nitrous? like the stuff that isn't flamable?

what happend to his car to make it catch on fire? and why did he waste his time shuting off the bottle?

Originally posted by denn454

i thought nitrous was flamable... being made up of oxygen and all. im kinda curious as to what was on fire as well. ussually when your car is on fire you had might as well bust out the smoors.

-jeff

right on the bottle there is a green sticker that says non flamable, look at one of their ads in hot rod or some magazine and you'll probably see it. If the bottle is in a burning car it could over expand and make the whole bottle go boom, and thats not good.

not doubting it, i mean he is a mustang guy, probably tied fire works to the bottom side of the car to make it faster ;)

N20 isn't flamable, but I wouldn't want to spray it on an underhood fire. The hood limits the amount of 02 getting to the fire, the N20 would provide a nearly unlimited supply.

I saw a guy at the track with a small block Chevy and a 2 stage 300 HP NOS kit. On his pass I heard a bang and flames shot 3 feet out of the hood scoop. The guy got back to the pits, checked out his motor, changes undies, and proceeded to run a mid 10second pass. He told me what I heard and saw was a nitrous "pop".

Originally posted by denn454

what happend to his car to make it catch on fire? and why did he waste his time shuting off the bottle?
Yes when I said gas I mean nitrous. Why he cut the bottle off I don't know. We still don't know why it caught on fire, if blew the cold air filter off the car and it was on fire as well.

Thats called "puddling" in the upper intake. The upper was never meant to flow anything but air, and with that big of a dose......and not enough velocity(rpm).......boom

They now sell plate kits that get sandwiched between the upper and lower intake and avoid stuff like this.

not doubting it, i mean he is a mustang guy, probably tied fire works to the bottom side of the car to make it faster

:rolleyes:

Nitrous at temperatures & pressures that humans can withstand is inflammable. It needs to be heated and compressed to break apart into Nitrogen and Oxygen.

I believe that if both your nitrous and fuel lines were torn open in an explosion, the fuel is the stuff you need to deal with. Seen plenty of engine fires on cars w/o nitrous.

Jim

G-Body

Here is a trick for you fast and furious types ;) :

Blow a mouthful of Nitrous though a lit cigarette and watch it burn bright bluish-white. You wont blow your face off, like some one said it isnt flamable but makes things burn differently.

Yeah that guy was using a wet kit on that mustang and when you spray all that extra fuel into the upper intake it puddles until it backfires and ignites, making for beautifully mushroom cloud lol. The nitrous add all that oxygen to the fuel fire. He probably hit the system at to low of a RPM, because that will make go boom. I've run NOS on my stang, but ran a dry kit, running a supercharger now. And yes I do have a GN also, gotta have the best of both worlds :D

PS: fast n furious is so fake and lame

I hope no one thought I was actually serious about the fast and the furious :rolleyes: I hate what that movie did to the automotive sceene. I still get people who ask me if my GN has "nawz"

...I did like the charger tho:D but I think I read in a mag that even the blower on that was fake:eek:

i get that all the time too. one guy i know always tells me i ned to put a wing and neons on my car. then he asks me where the boost button is for the turbo. i'll have to puch the button on his face with my fist soon....

When my dad got his new gn deliverd the guy running the trailer saw an smc alochol controller and started going off about how thats the coolest naws controller hes ever seen.

If i ever get nitrous on anything it won't be from NOS just because they were part of that movie. i dont think i'll be buying anything from holley either, not that i would anyways.

god i hate that movie.

Originally posted by turbobuickman
If N2O isnt flamable, then how come that car blew up in Fast and the Furious?:confused: :rolleyes:

H2O Factor...

H-ollywood
2-
O-verexagerated..

Still compressed gas though...:confused:

Originally posted by UNGN
N20 isn't flamable, but I wouldn't want to spray it on an underhood fire. The hood limits the amount of 02 getting to the fire, the N20 would provide a nearly unlimited supply.

Ditto.. N20 is not flamable at all nor is pure oxygen. However, they do increase the intensity of something that is flamable tremendously.

Ever tried to light a oxy/acet torch with just the oxygen on? Aint happin no matter what you do but crack the acetyline slightly, turn the oxygen off, then try to light it. Lights just fine but not a very intense flame huh? With the acetyline still lit open the oxygen valve slightly and see what you get. A super intense flame that can carve 1"+ thick steel like its butter.

Back under my rock..

There is some types of Nitrous that had fuel mixed in with it already. Not real sure about it but i'm sure thats what the F&F car had.. Thats why it was so fast!

There is no such thing as nitrous with fuel already mixed in

Wet systems have a separate fuel solenoid and fuel supply line. Serious wet systems have a complete, separate, dedicated nitrous fuel supply system (pump, lines etc.). The mixing is done at the throttle plate (carb or TB systems) or at the Fogger nozzles (port systems). Dry systems inject nitrous only, and depend on the cars OE fuel system to supply the fuel enrichment via FPR signal manipulation, or other means. :cool:

Then there are the seldom seen, but often talked about, 'fantasy' systems, which turn Hondas into Buick beaters for 'about a G'. I haven't seen one, but I'm sure it would be chrome... Also makes flames shoot out the tailpipe. Never needs a refill either - purge all you want and whup ass all night...

Jim