76gts or gt 42/76

et10sec said:
what is the differance between the 76 gtq and the 76 gts or gt??

The GTQ is a smaller version of the GTS wheel. The GT I guess you are refering to the GT42. Well the GT42-76 is same as the 76GTS except for the housings and the shaft is larger on the GT42. The GTS turbine in the 76GTS is a turned down version.

Now guys with the 42 76 nonBB and the smallest a/r what stall speed can i get away with?
And now the same ? for the 76GTS. As i said before mainly streetcar with stage heads!

I would think the bigger shaft would be more reliable than ther gts-76?

gtq 76 turbo

gtq is tough to spoll with out a brake, and thats with a a/c convertor!! i guess that when you need the juice?? :confused:

Someone give me an idea of the stall speed i need
400 with a brake and 3.42 gears with either turbo! 236 solid roller stage heads

norbs said:
I would think the bigger shaft would be more reliable than ther gts-76?

Yes the GT42 will take a little more abuse. The added shaft size and journal size helps with stability and gyroscopic forces.

Jose

turboanthoni said:
Someone give me an idea of the stall speed i need
400 with a brake and 3.42 gears with either turbo! 236 solid roller stage heads

A 4000 stall should get you up and going

JZ 97 SS 1500 said:
Yes the GT42 will take a little more abuse. The added shaft size and journal size helps with stability and gyroscopic forces.

Jose

gy·ro·scope Audio pronunciation of "gyroscopic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jr-skp)
n.

A device consisting of a spinning mass, typically a disk or wheel, mounted on a base so that its axis can turn freely in one or more directions and thereby maintain its orientation regardless of any movement of the base.

John Wilde said:
gy·ro·scope Audio pronunciation of "gyroscopic" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jr-skp)
n.

A device consisting of a spinning mass, typically a disk or wheel, mounted on a base so that its axis can turn freely in one or more directions and thereby maintain its orientation regardless of any movement of the base.

lol, thanks for the explanation, I should have clarified some.

Jose

The question is, what is the stall required to spool a gt42-76 with a 1.01 a/r on a 3.8, or is this just too big and going to end up with compressor surge at light load. Or would i be better off with the gts-76 and what would be the price differences. YOur saying they spool on tiny motors though????

norbs said:
The question is, what is the stall required to spool a gt42-76 with a 1.01 a/r on a 3.8, or is this just too big and going to end up with compressor surge at light load. Or would i be better off with the gts-76 and what would be the price differences. YOur saying they spool on tiny motors though????

You will be fine, Dave Bamford ran a 76 on a stock ci 109 motor many years ago.

Norbs,
I cannot give you exact stall RPM's . But i can tell you that my current motor (260 ci) spools the 42-76 fast! This is on the same converter i used on the TSM motor. I believe this converter is about 4k rpm on a 109. I havent looked at it close enough on the new motor. 1.01 housing. It spools quick enough for me to wanna try the next housing up... 1.2???

I wonder if i can purchase a turbo without the exhaust housing for a better deal. Then you can sell me your tiny restrictive housing?

norbs said:
I wonder if i can purchase a turbo without the exhaust housing for a better deal. Then you can sell me your tiny restrictive housing?

Norb, you are killing me.
The housings are like $150.
Buy a new complete turbo with non ball bearing.
Get the 74 or 76 GT42.

If I order a gt42 76 and it doesn't spool, instantly on my 231 ci motor with a 3500 converter, i will be blaming you !! John :eek:

norbs said:
If I order a gt42 76 and it doesn't spool, instantly on my 231 ci motor with a 3500 converter, i will be blaming you !! John :eek:

I don't need you to blame me, I already have a wife! :eek: ;)
If you have the chance I would loosen up the converter to 4000.
Since you are going with bigger heads and came, the engines stall should go up with the same converter.

Norbs,

Don't know if it helps any but my buddy Orlando has a 3-bolt 74GTQ on his 234ci iron headed motor and if I remember correctly he is using an Art Carr 3600 stall NL converter (also keep in mind he runs an open exhaust).... Car has run 9.96 @137mph and the turbo spools fast enough to occasionally point the car towards the wall :eek:

86brick said:
Don't know if it helps any but my buddy Orlando has a 3-bolt 74GTQ on his 234ci iron headed motor and if I remember correctly he is using an Art Carr 3600 stall NL converter (also keep in mind he runs an open exhaust).... Car has run 9.96 @137mph and the turbo spools fast enough to occasionally point the car towards the wall :eek:

Thanks for the assist Steve!

John Wilde said:
Thanks for the assist Steve!

No problem.. I also forgot to mention that Orlando originally had a 4000 stall converter with the 74GTQ and he decided to tighten up to the current 3600 stall and then he also went from a 3.42 gear to a 3.23 and the car picked up 5 MPH, but not much in the way of ET because the suspension is lacking... He went from running a 9.98 @132mph to 9.96 @137mph...